Goniopora problem

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a goniopora A few weeks ago and up until recently it was doing fine. It looks very shrunk up and doesn't want to open up much. It isn't bleaching it just looks odd. I did water test and my ammoni is 0 as well as my nitrate and nitrites. My ph is 8.0 and my temp is 78. Also I am using an AI 26 above my 30 gallon bowfront. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 409

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it it requires food.

D maul

Well know lightsabre
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis like flow some like stronger than others you might have to adjust the flow to see if it opens up more just don't blast it.

OP
OP
Joe Pulliam

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm feeding it 2 times a week doesn't seem to eat anymore either. I will try and adjust the flow to see if that helps

D maul

Well know lightsabre
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm feeding it 2 times a week doesn't seem to eat anymore either. I will try and adjust the flow to see if that helps[/QUOTE
The Goni doesn't look bad in the picture, doesn't look like its receding into the skeleton might not like the flow it may take some time to find a good flow area

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea yea I miss read your question I thought you were implying to state phos and nitrates

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if the OP is still testing for nitrites then the tank is young.
These corals already have a considerably short lifespan in captivity.
Get the nitrates up with a trace of po4 that will be the best bet or bring him back to where he came from.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with all of the above, small amounts of nitrates and phos will help.
I run a ULN with 0 nitrates and phos 0.01 and do successfully keep lots of goni's.
But they get target fed, rocks and sand turkey basted weekly.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been keeping goni's for years and I have low phosphate and nitrates..

The main problem with most goni's is they are very hard to keep and some are still impossible like goniopora stokesi..
Some like the ora red goniopora actually are not to bad at all to keep and do well with very few feedings.. The general rule is red goniopora and encrusting are the easiest and the greens are hard.. Some of the blue and purple are in-between. Of coarse there are exceptions to the rule..

Most goniopora requires food. BBS, cyclopeese, golden pearls, oyster eggs are good foods.

Another issue is they are all different. Some like low light some high light and some like medium, some like low flow while others like strong and others are in-between... That is what makes them hard really trying to find out what they like.. Sometimes it just takes a couple days for them to fully open too, they are touchy. Some I just stick my finger in the water and they close up...

OP
OP
Joe Pulliam

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the good info. Just tested again and my nitrates are a little above 0. Maybe in the 1.5 range? Also I don't have a phos test. I'll bring some water to my LFS tomorrow and let you guys know the result.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all of the good info. Just tested again and my nitrates are a little above 0. Maybe in the 1.5 range? Also I don't have a phos test. I'll bring some water to my LFS tomorrow and let you guys know the result.

Don't bother testing phosphate, It is hard to test for because it is always being consumed and phosphate test kits only test for one type of phosphate.

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up one that looks just like this. It was at petco in not awesome condition and the guy didn't even know what it was. My tank is still new but I figured it would have a better chance with me then with them. I hope yours does okay.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back