Goniopora stretching

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I move my Goniopora to a higher level or is this something they do on & off
TIA
DSC_8110 (2).jpg
20191214_064846.jpg

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Goni often change length...even the ones we have at higher par. They are a finicky ish coral and sometimes close up for a day or so. I’ve had our be partially closed and partially elongated. Some studies indicate that their nervous system is quite complex for a coral with signals traveling from one branch that receives stimuli to another so that essentially the entire coral has knowledge of the stimulus.

I digress. It looks healthy to me at this picture. Continue to monitor but I don’t think you should worry at this point.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does look alright, they can stretch and contract normally. But as always you should keep an eye on it (along with everything else) and if you see more signs of stress we can address it.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal Goni behavior. Those red Aussie species seem to like a bit more light and flow than some, but that is one happy Goni right there!

with less flow and light you may be able to get it to “reach” more, but don’t fix what’s not broke. (I also have a green, and it took a lot of tinkering and patience to get to this point!)
7D741CF6-D94C-4903-B401-92CD99EF243F.jpeg

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t move it ever. My Goni went from happy to closed for the better part of a month. All because I picked it up cut the frag plug off and put it right back where it was. Total contact was 45 secs and it through a full out fit. They are finicky coral!

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goni is happy and fully extended. i think you are confusing with zoas stretching for light.

i have a green encrusting goni but your red looks super cool.
Not really confusing but I know there are some corals that do stretch for light & this is the 1st one of this coral I've had so thought I would ask.
Thanks for the info.
Completely normal Goni behavior. Those red Aussie species seem to like a bit more light and flow than some, but that is one happy Goni right there!

with less flow and light you may be able to get it to “reach” more, but don’t fix what’s not broke. (I also have a green, and it took a lot of tinkering and patience to get to this point!)
7D741CF6-D94C-4903-B401-92CD99EF243F.jpeg
Very nice

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Goni often change length...even the ones we have at higher par. They are a finicky ish coral and sometimes close up for a day or so. I’ve had our be partially closed and partially elongated. Some studies indicate that their nervous system is quite complex for a coral with signals traveling from one branch that receives stimuli to another so that essentially the entire coral has knowledge of the stimulus.

I digress. It looks healthy to me at this picture. Continue to monitor but I don’t think you should worry at this point.
Ok great. Thanks

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t move it ever. My Goni went from happy to closed for the better part of a month. All because I picked it up cut the frag plug off and put it right back where it was. Total contact was 45 secs and it through a full out fit. They are finicky coral!

This happened to me the other day. We had a razzleberry goni from Calikid...it's beautiful and have had it for at least a month. It loved its place in the tank, and was extended and happy. However, the frag plug made it difficult to secure. So I lifted it, cut the plug, glued it back to the same exact place. Total hand time might have been 30 seconds, and mind you I didn't even touch the goni itself. Now, it's acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum and is retracted fully. After 48 hours it set one long "feeler" out there, decided.. "nope, not happy yet", and pulled it back in. I've tried bribing it with a specialized goni food, but it just has decided to ride it out like the Covid-19 social distancing thing. He'll make it, and is healthy, but man they (the goni) are a finicky thing.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine still has not fully extended it does the same thing “oh, lets test the waters, nope I still hate you!” I am so frustrated with this little spoiled brat coral that I have not bought another one because of it. The polyp heads are out but it will not extend at all past a cm. They are like that six year old who says they are going to hold their breath till they pass out. Go ahead then coral you are only hurting yourself!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me the other day. We had a razzleberry goni from Calikid...it's beautiful and have had it for at least a month. It loved its place in the tank, and was extended and happy. However, the frag plug made it difficult to secure. So I lifted it, cut the plug, glued it back to the same exact place. Total hand time might have been 30 seconds, and mind you I didn't even touch the goni itself. Now, it's acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum and is retracted fully. After 48 hours it set one long "feeler" out there, decided.. "nope, not happy yet", and pulled it back in. I've tried bribing it with a specialized goni food, but it just has decided to ride it out like the Covid-19 social distancing thing. He'll make it, and is healthy, but man they (the goni) are a finicky thing.
If they get upset, it can be 2 weeks before they forget why they were mad !

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at his website & I would love to get one of those Rainbow Sherberts

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at his website & I would love to get one of those Rainbow Sherberts
I've been and purchased online from Calikid Corals. His stuff is amazing. His store is super clean, and everything is so healthy. Definately love the rainbow sherberts too

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back