Gonipora wont open up

GulfReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gonipora wont open up for couple of days now, what could be the problem? Is it ok? Is it alive ?
948219B8-0978-4BFD-AACC-BAE0A2B89D5F.jpeg

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Pic under whites if possible
2. Parameters (alk, nutrients - nitrates/phosphates, salinity, temp, magnesium and calcium if you have)
3. Any livestock that could be irritating it?
4. Have you been feeding it?
5. Has anything changed?
My guess is low nutrients, irritation, incorrect or change in flow, or it needs food.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its alive, its just closed up, it can stay closed up for a long time.

But to provide any advise, we would need so many more details on your tank.

OP
OP
GulfReefer

GulfReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Pic under whites if possible
2. Parameters (alk, nutrients - nitrates/phosphates, salinity, temp, magnesium and calcium if you have)
3. Any livestock that could be irritating it?
4. Have you been feeding it?
5. Has anything changed?
My guess is low nutrients, irritation, incorrect or change in flow, or it needs food.
Hi
1 and 2 as attached pic
3- i have 3 clownfish, 1damsel, 1 fire shrimp, 1 hermit crab

4- feeding redsea energy AB+ daily dosing feeding fish mixture of frozen food and pellets.
5- i guess i started dosing many stuff. After a week of no dosing due to cynobacteria which im still suffering from
550E21B6-43E6-473A-A5B1-3627547E1B94.jpeg 6CFF0A26-906E-41B4-B411-D23BBD8566F7.jpeg
9BF0F987-3206-4011-A027-949DF3858D5F.jpeg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same thing happen in my tank with my larger goni, it closed up for a week and lost some size. I believe it was due to rapidly falling phosphate/0 phosphate. I see that your phos and nitrate both fell in between the time those results were taken , I would look into getting some phos and nitrate back in the system thru food or dosing and then give it a few days to see if it will open back up.

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my phos hits 0, my gonis close up like that, shrink, and waste away. I lost a beautiful pink goni I had for a year because I cut back on feeding and phos bottomed out. Agree Mg is unusually high but not sure that is a problem (I run Mg 1400-1500). I think Ca of either 383 or 446 is probably ok, but I would try hard to avoid rapid swings that big. If it was me I would feed reef roids or something to bump phos up for a few days and see if that helps. I think it is hard to go to high on phos with gonis (as with all things reef, slow changes are best).

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my experimental/quarantine tank. I used it to 'grow out' my Biota mandarin. Autofeeder with pellets 4xday, no nutrient export other than water changes (no filter/skimmer/etc). The phos got a little high. It has come back done slightly. Gonis don't seem to mind one bit. These gonis have both been in here over a year, they are grown from frags. Sorry for the xenia in front. The meter works fine, my display tank (which incidentally has a LOT more algae) shows phos levels 1/10 this high.

Please accept this as proof of principle rather than recommendation. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_3749 2.jpg

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my phos hits 0, my gonis close up like that, shrink, and waste away. I lost a beautiful pink goni I had for a year because I cut back on feeding and phos bottomed out. Agree Mg is unusually high but not sure that is a problem (I run Mg 1400-1500). I think Ca of either 383 or 446 is probably ok, but I would try hard to avoid rapid swings that big. If it was me I would feed reef roids or something to bump phos up for a few days and see if that helps. I think it is hard to go to high on phos with gonis (as with all things reef, slow changes are best).
Yes, you can also broadcast feed Reef blizzard or something similar. Gonis love higher nutrient tanks and seem to thrive in that situation, as they use to be known as a 6 months coral for most then suddenly die. The newest info that most people go by is keeping them in higher nutrient tanks...and they do well

You may even try to lower or reduce your protein skimmer every other day.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back