2 Banggai cardinalfish
1 yellow band possum wrasse
1 diamond sifter goby

Inverts

2 peppermint shrimp
4 narassius snails
4 cerith snails
4 trochus snails

I'm looking to put in 1 more peppermint shrimp, 1 orange citron goby and 1 purple fire goby on June 10th and then on June 24th I want to lastly add 1 royal gramma basslet and 1 blue reef chromis. That will complete my full planned stocking list.

I have almost 3 times my water volume in mechanical filtration, live sand, live and dry rock, powerhead for added flow, and all the proper essentials so I'm pretty confident my tank can handle the stock. Just more worried about compatibility. But from what I've heard adding royal gramma and chromis last is always recommended.

What do you guys think?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My stocklist now

2 Oscrellis clowns
2 Banggai cardinalfish
1 diamond sifter goby

Inverts

2 peppermint shrimp
4 narassius snails
4 cerith snails
4 trochus snails

I'm looking to put in 1 more peppermint shrimp, 1 orange citron goby and 1 purple fire goby on June 10th and then on June 24th I want to lastly add 1 royal gramma basslet and 1 blue reef chromis. That will complete my full planned stocking list.

I have almost 3 times my water volume in mechanical filtration, live sand, live and dry rock, powerhead for added flow, and all the proper essentials so I'm pretty confident my tank can handle the stock. Just more worried about compatibility. But from what I've heard adding royal gramma and chromis last is always recommended.

What do you guys think?
Dont see any problems with potential additions. Acclimate well and introduce under low light to reduce any possible unwelcoming

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this? Clowns, gramma and Banggai can get aggressive in smaller tanks. The fire goby may hide all the time.
36g bowfront. Netted top for jumpers. Plenty of hide holes in the caves.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220527_194032.jpg
    20220527_194032.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220527_194059.jpg
    20220527_194059.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220527_194102.jpg
    20220527_194102.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 31

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish is about 2 too many for a 36g tank. It’s not about whether or not your tank can process that much ammonia, it absolutely can, the issue is that there isn’t enough room/territory in that small a tank for that many fish.

edit: also, tank looks fairly new, I’d slow down with additions and let the tank mature.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't acclimate any fish shipped in O2 like that.
I don't buy online live stock anymore. When I had freshwater tank I order some congo tetras that came with red worms coming out of butt. I only found out after they've been there for a couple months.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish is about 2 too many for a 36g tank. It’s not about whether or not your tank can process that much ammonia, it absolutely can, the issue is that there isn’t enough room/territory in that small a tank for that many fish.

edit: also, tank looks fairly new, I’d slow down with additions and let the tank mature.
Yeah I might ditch the fire goby and citron goby and just get the last 2. Have to talk to my fiancée about it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stocklist now

2 Oscrellis clowns
2 Banggai cardinalfish
1 diamond sifter goby

Inverts

2 peppermint shrimp
4 narassius snails
4 cerith snails
4 trochus snails

What do you guys think?
I’d personally stop there and wait for territories to establish. Those clowns will get aggressive and that diamond watchman will most likely starve or jump. Diamond watchman’s and any valenciennea need specific care to thrive and not just survive. Many in captivity are just surviving, very few are thriving.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally stop there and wait for territories to establish. Those clowns will get aggressive and that diamond watchman will most likely starve or jump. Diamond watchman’s and any valenciennea need specific care to thrive and not just survive. Many in captivity are just surviving, very few are thriving.
Diamond Goby is eating flake, pellet, and mysis. The top of my tank is netted with quarter inch hole net. I have 4 caves within the live rock and some areas under the rock where the goby can chill, he's already created his little spot. I plan on putting 2 small slabs on top of current live/dry rock to create 2 more caves within the rock. I noticed my clowns claimed the filter outlet up top. From day one they were added never seemed interested in the rock caves. They swap between the WaveMaker and the outlet. They seem to take security in the flow. My wrasse is gentle so far and only mucus wraps himself in very remote spots of the rock, you won't find him at all then in the morning see him begging for mysis shrimp lol. The 2 cardinalfish have claimed the lower end cave closest to the heater, when they aren't there they are just drifting around they show no aggression besides for being curious about the diamond goby. The snails and shrimp so far most the time stay out in the open scavenging. Tank is pretty new but I used some old filter media stuff to get it going faster.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Goby is eating flake, pellet, and mysis. The top of my tank is netted with quarter inch hole net. I have 4 caves within the live rock and some areas under the rock where the goby can chill, he's already created his little spot. I plan on putting 2 small slabs on top of current live/dry rock to create 2 more caves within the rock. I noticed my clowns claimed the filter outlet up top. From day one they were added never seemed interested in the rock caves. They swap between the WaveMaker and the outlet. They seem to take security in the flow. My wrasse is gentle so far and only mucus wraps himself in very remote spots of the rock, you won't find him at all then in the morning see him begging for mysis shrimp lol. The 2 cardinalfish have claimed the lower end cave closest to the heater, when they aren't there they are just drifting around they show no aggression besides for being curious about the diamond goby. The snails and shrimp so far most the time stay out in the open scavenging. Tank is pretty new but I used some old filter media stuff to get it going faster.
Territories can change quite fast. My black photon clown was hosting the back corner of my 4’ tank then all of a sudden she hosted a BTA (Which vanished after she stopped hosting it) then the Torch and Frammer and now the Yuma. I wouldn’t be surprised if she began to host the newly added Kenya Tree Leathers too.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Territories can change quite fast. My black photon clown was hosting the back corner of my 4’ tank then all of a sudden she hosted a BTA (Which vanished after she stopped hosting it) then the Torch and Frammer and now the Yuma. I wouldn’t be surprised if she began to host the newly added Kenya Tree Leathers too.
Sounds cool though, I plan on keeping this tank fish only saltwater. I don't plan any corals, seahair, or anemones for this tank. Next year I plan on building up on a 120g tank that system will be developed for reefing very slowly. And I also hear conflicting opinions on territory. I've been to many different forums on the net probably 5 or 6 different ones, including opinions from my 3 or 4 LFS locations.....which all have also said something different based on their personal and in store experiences. Most people I've read have said when they waited too long to add fish the new additions usually get picked on or killed because all the others are older additions and have settled already, regardless of tank size or stock. Which is why I've decided to go the 2 weeks apart with adding fish at 2 at a time. And let the system grow and develop while all fish develope territory together and get used to each others presence throughout the tanks development. I made the decision after a whole month of reading differing opinions and experiences. I'll make sure that I keep everyone updated on my progress for sure, so far things are going well. No aggression initially and they all seem to get along. Which is how I hope it stays.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no issues with compatibility or the number of fish. All of those are small fish that don't require large territories.
Now you mention it, the only really large territory fish are;
DWG, Clowns and the Chromis.
The rest are all lower in territory size.

Sounds cool though, I plan on keeping this tank fish only saltwater. I don't plan any corals, seahair, or anemones for this tank. Next year I plan on building up on a 120g tank that system will be developed for reefing very slowly. And I also hear conflicting opinions on territory. I've been to many different forums on the net probably 5 or 6 different ones, including opinions from my 3 or 4 LFS locations.....which all have also said something different based on their personal and in store experiences. Most people I've read have said when they waited too long to add fish the new additions usually get picked on or killed because all the others are older additions and have settled already, regardless of tank size or stock. Which is why I've decided to go the 2 weeks apart with adding fish at 2 at a time. And let the system grow and develop while all fish develope territory together and get used to each others presence throughout the tanks development. I made the decision after a whole month of reading differing opinions and experiences. I'll make sure that I keep everyone updated on my progress for sure, so far things are going well. No aggression initially and they all seem to get along. Which is how I hope it stays.
IMHO the older fish will only kill new inhabitants if they’ve been introduced incorrectly or the tank is too small. I have a 4’ tank and a 18” RS Max Nano. Both of which are over a year old and adding fish to them is more than easy, I even have a Ctenochaetus binotatus in my 4’ tank which is “aggressive” apparently yet it avoids all new fish.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish that gets big in my planned stock is the 1 blue reef chromis and thats 5 inch possibly. All the other fish I believe are 3 inches and shorter.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish that gets big in my planned stock is the 1 blue reef chromis and thats 5 inch possibly. All the other fish I believe are 3 inches and shorter.
Occelaris can get to 4 inch depending on variant I think (I’ve seen a pair of black occelaris, each at 4 inch but never seen a pair of 4 inch orange occelaris).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back