Good Morning!

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a native tree that grows in forests here that bears a sweet fruit.
IMG_1162-X2.jpg

This one is growing 30 feet from the house and is the largest one I have ever seen. I didn't even recognize it. The ones I have seen in the past grow under a forest canopy and are a single trunk with few branches each with 6-8 large leaves. They usually only grow 2 - 4 fruits that are usually eaten by wildlife.
We looked and there are more down the hill where the fruits from this one have grown. They are still small though.
IMG_1165-L.jpg

They seem to be pretty rare in this part of the state. I encountered them on Boy Scout trips to other parts of the state a long time ago.

The pawpaw is a patch-forming (clonal) understory tree found in well-drained, deep, fertile bottom-land and hilly upland habitat, with large, simple leaves. Pawpaw fruits are the largest edible fruit indigenous to the United States (not counting gourds, which are typically considered vegetables rather than fruit for culinary purposes, although in botany they are classified as fruit).[3]

Pawpaw fruits have a sweet, custardish flavor somewhat similar to banana, mango, and pineapple, and are commonly eaten raw, but are also used to make ice cream and baked desserts.
Oooo thats awesome. Hope you get to the fruit before the wildlife does.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. It is still pitch dark here but we are having people over all day and I want to get started. Heading to the beach to tackle those 165 stairs. :p

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle star Galactica,,,the bad guys???? [emoji14]

BTW that storm went thru here and still 10k with out power
I believe it man! We had 2 power poles down by my house and I know a bunch were down on the other side of Freedom from us. Heard some Appleton folks were out yet the other day.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning all. Every day is a weekend for me so it doesn't matter. Actually we Geezers like weekdays much better as all the tourists are gone, there is no traffic, no one is on the water, restaurants are empty and "There's a Kind of Hush all over the World". :cool:

I am almost ready to start my day as our company left last night after a hectic boating day barbecuing and partying at night at the pool. It is very tough to keep up this lifestyle and I hope my liver holds out for a few more years. :rolleyes:

This morning about 5:00 I took my bike to the beach where I did the 167 steps "twice".
That was my goal because I want to be in good enough shape to bring down my fishing pole and have enough strength left to get back up with a bucket load of fish. :p

Or at least. get back up without calling the paramedics. I think I am almost there and will soon try that.
I may bring one of those things around my neck so that when I fall off the cliff I can call and say
"Help; I've fallen off the cliff, the deer are eating me and I can't get up".

Then laugh as the EMTs try to find me because you need a boat to get there. ;Smuggrin
This is near the top of the stairs.

And the bottom

I can't get the middle as it turns and I get dizzy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone.
I have been absent as of recent. My family was in. I am the youngest of 6 boys plus we all have children so its been a funfilled past week. Plus I am tirelessly building an ecommerce website in my spare time. @WVNed congrats! @EmilyXLC my sentiments exactly!

I have 6 also and what a blast when they are all in with kids and all!! Good luck with the website!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed what exactly is a pawpaw tree?

Having lived and taught at Ohio University in Athens Ohio I was soundly beaten over the proverbial head with “paw paw” they have a huge county wide “paw paw” festival which includes live bands, tons of alcohol and other amenities and every recipe and raw eating of paw paw fruit. It is a meaty fruit. I think it is the largest fruit indigenous to North America unless you count gourds as fruit. Anyway I could go on forever but suffice it to say the fest is better than the actual fruit!

Back