Gracilaria (red ogo) turning pale/ colorless

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got some gracilaria couple of days back and put it in my DT (currently no fish or corals). It turned pale in two days and almost colorless now. Its is a low lit corner. Light- first day was blue only and day 2 - 12hrs blue light with 6hrs white n blue. Any idea?

Tank just finished cycle. No NH3 or NO2. Nitrates at 30.
IMG_8971.JPG

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may have gotten stressed in shipping. It looks like it arrived very healthy! Nutrient deficiencies don't tend to show this quickly. I would keep the white lights on longer and maybe try to center it more. We keep almost all of our macroalgae under very intense LED lighting.

When are you planning on adding fish? Macroalgae loves fish poop :) and will supply most of what it needs (CO2 and fertilizer!). If it doesn't make it, reach out and we'll get another out out to you.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have gotten stressed in shipping. It looks like it arrived very healthy! Nutrient deficiencies don't tend to show this quickly. I would keep the white lights on longer and maybe try to center it more. We keep almost all of our macroalgae under very intense LED lighting.

When are you planning on adding fish? Macroalgae loves fish poop :) and will supply most of what it needs (CO2 and fertilizer!). If it doesn't make it, reach out and we'll get another out out to you.
Will do that. But I was reading posts that gracilaria gets bleached in too much light and likes shade. Yesterday was the first 6 hours white light it received on top of 12 hrs blue and this morning its more pale. I hope your suggestion to put under more light will work. I am planning to add fish after July 7th.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Reg Ogo is disintegrating this morning and i had to remove it from my display as it was spoiling the water. I do not think it was in the right condition when it came. Else it cannot rot in just 2 days.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Reg Ogo is disintegrating this morning and i had to remove it from my display as it was spoiling the water. I do not think it was in the right condition when it came. Else it cannot rot in just 2 days.

Send me your order number, we will get you taken care of

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been growing Gracilaria Parvispora for > 20 years. Red Ogo needs white light. Under subdued lighting it will color up rich dark burgundy. Under increasingly intense light, it will color up as fire engine bright red, then yellow orange if light is intense enough.

Your new tank does not have enough nutrients. Add fish and feed them nutrients.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like the two members mentioned above- smell is a huge factor and it falling apart and being light green or clean are other good indicators. Sometimes macroalgae does get a bit stressed during transit unfortunately but we do have an awesome alive on arrival guarantee and will get our customers taken care of :cool:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back