Grand Master Krak

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS near me Aquarium Care Center, has - 3 polyp Grand Master Krak frag for $550 its haunting my sleep.. Is it worth it? Do they grow fast 5B74FCD7-F241-4E2B-A273-967B04678EEC.png

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol “is it worth it”.... well...

Are your going to get $550 of enjoyment out of it?
Is $550 chump change to you, or your going to need to put it on a CC?
If next year they are worth $100 are you going to cry?
If your tank crashes, are you going to leave the hobby because you had too much invested to start over?

Hah, sooooo many questions come to mind.

I never spent more than $35 on a single coral. However on the other end of the spectrum... I was reading a thread of a reefers buying 10k coral, because “when you only have limited room, only the best goes in the tank” rofl.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got poor boy zoas $5-$15 a head. For the $15 heads I asked for singles, hahaha, that’s how I roll... keeping as much money in the bank account as possible.

Definitely following to see what others say! Can’t wait! Good thread.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are highly overrated. I guess they’re just rare so that’s why they’re more expensive. But I don’t even think they’re that special. It’s one of those pieces that is good to show off I guess. As for growth, all of my high end zoas grow at the same pace as the others. Once they start, they don’t stop until another colony overtakes them. My cheap eagles eyes eventually took over a Rasta colony. RIP rastas.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re pretty. But this is insanity. That anyone would pay this price for three polyps, or $2500 for a single torch head (‘What a great deal!’), or $10k for a single mushroom, is when you know that this hobby has lost its mind. It’s 100% a product of, and the end goal of the name game, and we’re all stupid for ever buying into it.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look more like Speckled Kraks to me. My GMK look significantly different than that.

@footgal

I've gotten 1 polyp in a month from my GMK. Looks like maybe a second bud is starting now, but hard to see.

For actual GMK, $550 is a decent price for a 3p frag, but if you look around (Zoa & Shroom Room on Facebook) you can find them cheaper.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those don't look right.
Pattern should not be speckles, rather "connected bars"
Mouth circle is very well defined
middle highlight color should be orange, not purple/ pink
Skirt should have green base with well defined yellow stripes

Some of it could be lighting... but I would pass on those.

Here is a pic of mine under daylight and actinic:
1618852563370.png

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. GMK definitely fall into the distinct category. Beautiful, bright and worth the $250-350 pp that they go for.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol “is it worth it”.... well...

Are your going to get $550 of enjoyment out of it?
Is $550 chump change to you, or your going to need to put it on a CC?
If next year they are worth $100 are you going to cry?
If your tank crashes, are you going to leave the hobby because you had too much invested to start over?

Hah, sooooo many questions come to mind.

I never spent more than $35 on a single coral. However on the other end of the spectrum... I was reading other thread of reefers buying 10k coral, because “when you only have limited room, only the best goes in the tank” rofl.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those look more like Speckled Kraks to me. My GMK look significantly different than that.

@footgal

I've gotten 1 polyp in a month from my GMK. Looks like maybe a second bud is starting now, but hard to see.

For actual GMK, $550 is a decent price for a 3p frag, but if you look around (Zoa & Shroom Room on Facebook) you can find them cheaper.

Those do not look like the GMKs at all

Yeah... that’s not a GMK, it’s pretty though!

Those don't look right.
Pattern should not be speckles, rather "connected bars"
Mouth circle is very well defined
middle highlight color should be orange, not purple/ pink
Skirt should have green base with well defined yellow stripes

Some of it could be lighting... but I would pass on those.

Here is a pic of mine under daylight and actinic:
1618852563370.png

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. GMK definitely fall into the distinct category. Beautiful, bright and worth the $250-350 pp that they go for.
... all of these folks are spot on!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree not a GMK. I settled with a blue hornet was 29 bucks and I got 7 polyps. I think I will stick with cheaper frags for now on
Can never go wrong with Hornets! I have a semi-obsession with them at the moment. I have blue, red, purple, black, rainbow, ktar black, Frozen, Murder, and Jawbreaker Hornets now. My King Jawbreakers will be here Wednesday. :D

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nice! Going to have to add them to my collection. I’m seriously thinking about starting a 20 gallon zoa frag tank. If not I will run out of room soon, lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been to ACC, the GMKs are much better looking in-person. I'm not 100% sure if they're GMKs, but they look pretty close, and the store is a very honest one. Not worth $550 for a zoa IMO, but if that's up your alley, then you should go for it!

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been to ACC, the GMKs are much better looking in-person. I'm not 100% sure if they're GMKs, but they look pretty close, and the store is a very honest one. Not worth $550 for a zoa IMO, but if that's up your alley, then you should go for it!
Yeah I went 2 weeks ago. They were completely different looking in person, but I have to agree not worth for my budget. Found a local reefer selling 1 polyp for 350. But got a baby on the way so no more corals for me lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back