Green sinularia having issues

moustachio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've had this green sinularia now for about 10 months now and it's always been doing really well, even growing fast but this past week it hasn't been opening up and I'm not sure what's going on with it. Last weekend I was out of town for an engagement party and living in Cali my ATO was running extra hard with this heat wave and ran out of water so when I got back the salinity was really high and my return pump was throwing small bubbles cause of the low water, I quickly replaced it and everything's bounced back within the next day except my sinularia, I see this black stuff on it and worried it's on its way out. Anything I should I do to help it? In the photos you can see a small one that I fragged off of it a while ago since it grew so fast that's doing fine but the big one looks shriveled.

20230803_173523.jpg 20230803_173533.jpg 20230803_173533.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not an expert, but in my experience these types of corals (leathers), can be a little temperamental at times, shrivling up for a little bit and bouncing back. As long as your parameters are OK and you fixed the salinity issues, I would just leave it alone.

OP
OP
M

moustachio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but in my experience these types of corals (leathers), can be a little temperamental at times, shrivling up for a little bit and bouncing back. As long as your parameters are OK and you fixed the salinity issues, I would just leave it alone.
Ok, yeah this is the longest it's ever been shriveled which is why I'm stressing about it, but I'll keep giving it some time

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is gathering some yuck inside a bit. You can blow that out with a turkey baster or leave it to shed it off. These guys are good radar for tank conditions. However they tend to be last to bounce back too. Give it time.

Theycan shut up longer than a few days with no harm.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine every once in a while shrinks and lays on its side for a few days and then bounces back looking better than ever. Give it time, they are really hardy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back