Green vs red bubble tip anemone hardier?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this thread YEARS ago, but I wanted to make it again to see if the opinions have changed:

Is there a difference in green vs red bubble tip anemones? Is one hardier than the other?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that color is the determining factor. I don't see many aquacultured green anemones. Mostly I see Rose or Rainbow. Not to say that there aren't aquacultured greens, but they simply just aren't as common. Wild Bubble Tips are much more temperamental than aquacultured.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience I’ve found that wild caught green bubble tips are harder to keep alive than wild caught and aquaculture rose/rainbows.
As for aquaculture they are pretty much the same care

Last edited:

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green one bit the dust while my red one is thriving. Not sure where they came from as I bought them second hand.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've struggled with greens but have had success with reds and rainbows. Not 100% sure if the anemones I've gotten from my LFS are aquacultured or wild-caught though

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that color is the determining factor. I don't see many aquacultured green anemones. Mostly I see Rose or Rainbow. Not to say that there aren't aquacultured greens, but they simply just aren't as common. Wild Bubble Tips are much more temperamental than aquacultured.
Agreed!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my experience matches the general consensus - I also had trouble keeping green BTA alive while red BTA flourished.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank raised Green BTA that did great for over a year until I added an RBTA to the same aquarium. The green came from a local guy who's tank was overrun with them, and the RBTA was a local split from a hobbyist tank as well...

They parked next to each other and the green one withered/wasted away fairly quickly. Not sure if it was coincidence or not, but it was fine and growing before I added the RBTA, and I had no other issues or parameter swings to explain it...

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that before you put the anemone in the DT? What’s the purpose of treating anemones in antibiotics?
It was after , they looked good then started to decline in health while the other anemones doing great , read the sticky on cipro treatment for anemones. They are looking a lot better now and I’m hoping for full recovery

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first is a green one and is quite surprisingly doing well it seems to be a wild one. Cause my lfs doesn’t breed anemones. I got it thinking I scammed the lfs by buying the rainbow one due to it not having any green spots on it. One week later its covered in spots. So much for being a smart person ‍♂️

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 82

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience I’ve found that wild caught green bubble tips are harder to keep alive than wild caught and aquaculture rose/rainbows.
As for aquaculture they are pretty much the same care
I have found this to be true also ime

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my experience matches most of others - greens tend to die out while red flourishes. I don’t know if I should blame my husbandry or if I should blame the anemones that I choose. Who knows.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my experience matches most of others - greens tend to die out while red flourishes. I don’t know if I should blame my husbandry or if I should blame the anemones that I choose. Who knows.
It’s hard to say but I feel like wild caught green bubble tips don’t do well in a lot of peoples tanks

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same IMO. I have a green that is 10 years old. Has never split and is the size of a basketball when puffed up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back