Greetings from Cairns, Australia.

longtimereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My name is Mick, I have just set up a 35 gallon tank that I plan on having mostly soft corals and a couple fish in.
I am running a 20 gallon sump (approx)
I am fortunate enough here to get rock and water straight from Great Barrier Reef.
any tips for sump and filtration and anything in general would be greatly appreciated!
My lighting is very basic for now, but will be upgrading this:)

A9E602FD-5C84-4C88-A564-C2CBAF341647.jpeg

Welcome Mick! I started my hobby over 25 years ago in Okinawa and got my rock and water straight from the ocean. It cost me my entire tank... twice... Sea water is great in the ocean because it is massive. in a very small closed system like yours, the slightest bit of toxic algea etc (wont be visible) will kill everything in it in short order. I also got a lovely piece of rock with a mantis shrimp in it and within a week all but 1 fish was dead before I even heard the first click from the shrimp... Not trying to tell ya how to do it, just be prepared if using the wild for supplies. Looks like a really cool set up mate!
Gus

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

About using water directly from the sea. There is risk - as @longtimereefer pointed out but you can prevent most of this with using a disent (and strong) UVC or/and use ozone as a pretreatment of the water before it end up in the aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back