Greetings from Orlando, Florida!

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the hobby and recently took advantage of WWC's sale to get started. I've been doing research for several weeks and could tell I'm going to be absolutely hooked with my soon to be mixed reef tank. I've read multiple forum posts and figured I'd document my journey too. My Waterbox Marine x 110.4 (Black Cabinet) should arrive sometime in July. I bought a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15 in the mean time to get myself acclimated with the fundamentals of maintaining a saltwater tank (with the intention of converting it to a quarantine tank in the coming months). I purchased the following equipment:

Tank: Waterbox Marine x 110.4 (Black Cabinet)
Lights: 2x EchoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Blue
Light Mount: 2x Echotech Marine RMS XR15
Wave Maker: 2x EchoTech Marine Vortech MP10W QD
Return Pump: Vectra M2 2100 gph
RODI Unit: BRS 4 Stage Value Plus 75GPD
Heater: Aquatop Pre-set 50 watt; I wanted to see how I liked this one in the 15 gallon before getting heaters for the main tank. Please provide any recommendations you may have!

Brightwell Microbacter7
Brightwell Neomarine 50G Salt Mix
Flipper & Aquablade scrapers
NLS Tropical Sinking Pellets Fish Food
Marco Rocks Dry Rock (not completely sold on this yet; I was leaning towards live rock but the salesmen convinced me to go the dry rock route). I plan to buy and cycle rocks in a Brut to get ready for the larger tank. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and experience with dry vs live rock.

All-in-all, I'm really drawn to the classic "beginner" fish and soft corals. I'm excited to embark on this new hobby and look forward to being part of the community.

I'll provide updates as things progress.

Thanks all!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Florida Salty Family!!!
Orlando is a feeding frenzy of LFS's. Be sure to go see Living Reef and Top Shelf Aquatics, too.
TSA has crazy clean frags.
That said .... don't rush this. It's a bit early to be coral shopping.
My best advice is get lots of opinions and follow your gut. One person will say dry rock is dead rock, another will say live rock invites hitchhikers. You may find yourself in the middle of saying, I can pick out unwanted hitchhikers because I want diversity.... it is your tank - your money at the end of the day.
Don't rush - don't panic chase numbers - good things come to those who wait.
Animation Domination Lol GIF by gifnews

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - thank you for the warm welcome everyone! Here's the current setup. Today marks day 1! This is roughly 11 lbs of dry rock and I'm considering buying a few small pieces of live rock on my next LFS visit.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Waterbox are great tanks. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Couldn't be more excited and I'd have to agree. I was really impressed with the Waterbox tanks when comparing at the LFS. I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back