Greetings from Virginia

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! My name is Jeremy Pollock I have been into fish keeping since 2010 although I have only kept fresh water fish up until now. I just recently got my basement fishroom setup so I moved all my tanks down to one room. I currently have 9 tanks with 366 gallons holding 74 fish of 13 different species and several plants as well. I have bred fish and created symbiotic relationships with plants and fish in the fresh water variety. A picture of my new basement setup is attached. I have done almost everything that can be done with fresh water so I am now making the leap and going to add a 200 gallon tank to my collection for a salt water reef. The tank will be delivered in February and I have already collected the supplies to get a salt water mixing station built in my basement. Unlike many others I will use my RODI waste water to supply my fresh water fish with water so there will be no "waste" water. I am excited to begin this journey and really don't have any lofty goals. I was at a tropical fish store in Virginia Beach and saw an amazing mixed reef tank a year ago which has made me want one ever since. I will mostly be in this for the fish but I for sure want a clown anemone combo. Given my tank doesn't arrive for a few months it will be a slow process until I get up and running but I would love support should I run into challenges. My salt water mix station will be a DIY build of 3 44 gallon Brute trash cans 1 for RODI 1 for Salt mix and 1 for the "waste" which I will use on my fresh tanks. My tank is a 200 gallon EXT peninsula set for delivery in late Feb. I haven't decided 100% on the lighting but likely will get ecotech Xr15 times 3 or Xr30 times 2. I also desire some tangs as well as I am mostly in this for the fish. The anemone I understand is a little harder to keep and should be introduced as the tank has been more established so as I said this will likely be a slow process but Im going to try and not have huge failures along the way as I've learned alot from freshwater care over the last decade. Anyone got questions about freshwater fish and plants I got you for sure. Any tips for a beginner in salt tank life I will gladly accept.

IMG_20211212_190532669[2213].jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! My name is Jeremy Pollock I have been into fish keeping since 2010 although I have only kept fresh water fish up until now. I just recently got my basement fishroom setup so I moved all my tanks down to one room. I currently have 9 tanks with 366 gallons holding 74 fish of 13 different species and several plants as well. I have bred fish and created symbiotic relationships with plants and fish in the fresh water variety. A picture of my new basement setup is attached. I have done almost everything that can be done with fresh water so I am now making the leap and going to add a 200 gallon tank to my collection for a salt water reef. The tank will be delivered in February and I have already collected the supplies to get a salt water mixing station built in my basement. Unlike many others I will use my RODI waste water to supply my fresh water fish with water so there will be no "waste" water. I am excited to begin this journey and really don't have any lofty goals. I was at a tropical fish store in Virginia Beach and saw an amazing mixed reef tank a year ago which has made me want one ever since. I will mostly be in this for the fish but I for sure want a clown anemone combo. Given my tank doesn't arrive for a few months it will be a slow process until I get up and running but I would love support should I run into challenges. My salt water mix station will be a DIY build of 3 44 gallon Brute trash cans 1 for RODI 1 for Salt mix and 1 for the "waste" which I will use on my fresh tanks. My tank is a 200 gallon EXT peninsula set for delivery in late Feb. I haven't decided 100% on the lighting but likely will get ecotech Xr15 times 3 or Xr30 times 2. I also desire some tangs as well as I am mostly in this for the fish. The anemone I understand is a little harder to keep and should be introduced as the tank has been more established so as I said this will likely be a slow process but Im going to try and not have huge failures along the way as I've learned alot from freshwater care over the last decade. Anyone got questions about freshwater fish and plants I got you for sure. Any tips for a beginner in salt tank life I will gladly accept.

Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 42

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @hawkeyejp82 to R2R. I'd suggest starting a build thread to let us know how it's going and a great place to get feedback and answers to questions.

And I'd appreciate your recommendation of LFS's in the Fredericksburg area....I visit King George with frequency and would like to see what's up in your area.

Again, welcome!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
hawkeyejp82

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @hawkeyejp82 to R2R. I'd suggest starting a build thread to let us know how it's going and a great place to get feedback and answers to questions.

And I'd appreciate your recommendation of LFS's in the Fredericksburg area....I visit King George with frequency and would like to see what's up in your area.

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!

As for LFS in the Fredericksburg area unfortunately all we have is 2 Petsmarts and 1 Petco in this town. The best LFS I've seen near by is NOVA tropicals in Dale City but I haven't explored the entirety of the DC area fish stores. The best store I've seen for salt water fish in Virginia was the Aquariums Unlimited store in VA Beach which has some amazing setups.

I am still collecting supplies and don't expect my build to start in earnest for a few months but yeah I will start a build thread. Again thanks for the warm welcome.

OP
OP
hawkeyejp82

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dory.gif

Welcome to R2R! I'm jealous of your tank room! The wife would never let it happen haha
Funny enough my wife wanted it all in the basement because the larger tanks were bothering her sleep in the main spaces. I personally enjoy the sound of water when I'm sleeping but she can't stand it so it was easy to convince her of the need to consolidate all my fish stuff into one room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back