Grey Patch on Side of Yellow Tang

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She developed this grey patch on her side overnight, seems to be acting normal/eating. Any idea what it is and if it should be treated? Thank you and advance for the help!

1666783780004.png

1666783801030.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there also a mark around its eye?
The tail fin also looks a bit ragged?
Are you sure it developed overnight, and that you didn't miss the early development of it?
What other fish are in with it?

If it started up in a matter of hours, it is likely an injury and may not be infected. If it developed more gradually, over a day or two, then it might be an injury that is now infected.

Any treatment for that would involve moving the fish to a treatment tank and medicating it with a gram negative antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there also a mark around its eye?
The tail fin also looks a bit ragged?
Are you sure it developed overnight, and that you didn't miss the early development of it?
What other fish are in with it?

If it started up in a matter of hours, it is likely an injury and may not be infected. If it developed more gradually, over a day or two, then it might be an injury that is now infected.

Any treatment for that would involve moving the fish to a treatment tank and medicating it with a gram negative antibiotic.

Jay
Hey Jay - thanks for the quick response!

I was thinking the mark around the eye is HLLE, shes had that going on for a few months now which i've been trying to help along with better nutrition.

The tail fin does look a little bit ragged, i think that is fairly new as well, did not really notice until you pointed it out.

I'm fairly sure it developed over night but not 100%, i spent a good amount of time around the tank last night but its possible it was small and i missed it.

The other fish in the tank are; clowns, chromis, hippo tang, firefish goby, and watchman goby.

I included some more pictures in better lighting as well if that helps.
1666789528809.png

1666789595314.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Jay - thanks for the quick response!

I was thinking the mark around the eye is HLLE, shes had that going on for a few months now which i've been trying to help along with better nutrition.

The tail fin does look a little bit ragged, i think that is fairly new as well, did not really notice until you pointed it out.

I'm fairly sure it developed over night but not 100%, i spent a good amount of time around the tank last night but its possible it was small and i missed it.

The other fish in the tank are; clowns, chromis, hippo tang, firefish goby, and watchman goby.

I included some more pictures in better lighting as well if that helps.
1666789528809.png

1666789595314.png
Belly area looks like a bite or other injury becomming infected similar above eye with gross weight loss on overall fish.
What foods are you feeding ?
With what appears to be gram negative infection and a small bump on side. . . consider putting a quarantine tank together. Seachem neoplex would be best bet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belly area looks like a bite or other injury becomming infected similar above eye with gross weight loss on overall fish.
With what appears to be gram Positive infection and a small bump on side. . . consider putting a quarantine tank together. Seachem neoplex would be best bet
Thanks! i'll be putting the quarantine tank together tonight, i just hope i can catch her.

I'm feeding a mix of TDO and new life spectrum pellets twice a day on an auto feeder, plus a cube of either emerald feast or brine along with selcon once a day (i've been mixing 3 cubes with 1ml of selcon and feed that over the course of 3 days). A sheet of Nori every other day or so. Totally open to feedback in this department as well if i can be doing better.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed LRS frozen food.

Selcon doesn't really stick to frozen food and a lot gets wasted. Emerald feast main ingredient is also brine. Brine isn't very nutritious. Pellet food is okay but it is also processed food. I don't feed it exclusively. I would not feed brine at all tbh...

Soak the pellets or nori in selcon instead of the frozen.

Get better frozen foods like LRS frozen food (#1 imo!), PE mysis, RODs, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With what appears to be gram Positive infection and a small bump on side. . . consider putting a quarantine tank together. Seachem neoplex would be best bet
How do you tell what a gram positive infection - vs a gram negative infection looks like - I was just asking because - Jay recommended a gram negative antibiotic - so to the OP - a broad spectrum antibiotic is your best choice - and Neomycin (Neoplex) would be excellent!

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Selcon doesn't really stick to frozen food and a lot gets wasted. Emerald feast main ingredient is also brine. Brine isn't very nutritious. Pellet food is okay but it is also processed food. I don't feed it exclusively. I would not feed brine at all tbh...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pick some up later today when i get the antibiotic.

I'm going to call my LFS in about an hour when they open to see if they have Neoplex. If they do not are there any other products that would work?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pick some up later today when i get the antibiotic.

I'm going to call my LFS in about an hour when they open to see if they have Neoplex. If they do not are there any other products that would work?
Kanaplex. Maracyn 2 (which contains Minocycline) - is also broad spectrum.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks! i'll be putting the quarantine tank together tonight, i just hope i can catch her.

I'm feeding a mix of TDO and new life spectrum pellets twice a day on an auto feeder, plus a cube of either emerald feast or brine along with selcon once a day (i've been mixing 3 cubes with 1ml of selcon and feed that over the course of 3 days). A sheet of Nori every other day or so. Totally open to feedback in this department as well if i can be doing better.
Diet is inadequate. These fish which are herbivores also need fats-and anminos in their diet. Some foods to feed are:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do you tell what a gram positive infection - vs a gram negative infection looks like - I was just asking because - Jay recommended a gram negative antibiotic - so to the OP - a broad spectrum antibiotic is your best choice - and Neomycin (Neoplex) would be excellent!
Meant negative (which is fixed) as I recommended neoplex suggesting gram negative

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meant negative (which is fixed) as I recommended neoplex suggesting gram negative
Thanks- FWIW - Neoplex is active against a broad spectrum of gram positive and gram negatives - so either way - it will treat:)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks- FWIW - Neoplex is active against a broad spectrum of gram positive and gram negatives - so either way - it will treat:)
Yes making it broad spectrum

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes making it broad spectrum
Right - I was agreeing with you:). As I did in the first post. I posted for others who might be reading the thread. There is a broad misunderstanding that I've read on many threads about antibiotic spectrum and what Gram positive and gram negative even means - so I was just clarifying for the masses

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An issue with Selcon that I've never heard the company address: It is supposed to be related to Selco by INVE. That product must be packed in nitrogen and is only good for 4 months (refrigerated) after opening. How then, can Selcon which is also supposed to contain similar HUFAs be shelf-stable with no expiration date? (at least it didn't used to have one).

INVE did produce a dry product that had a longer shelf life.

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An issue with Selcon that I've never heard the company address: It is supposed to be related to Selco by INVE. That product must be packed in nitrogen and is only good for 4 months (refrigerated) after opening. How then, can Selcon which is also supposed to contain similar HUFAs be shelf-stable with no expiration date? (at least it didn't used to have one).

INVE did produce a dry product that had a longer shelf life.

Jay

This makes me glad I don't use it anymore then as that would be a waste of money if it expires after 4 months...... I just feed high quality foods like LRS and live black worms. Only pellets when on vacation. :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Right - I was agreeing with you:). As I did in the first post. I posted for others who might be reading the thread. There is a broad misunderstanding that I've read on many threads about antibiotic spectrum and what Gram positive and gram negative even means - so I was just clarifying for the masses
I realize that LOL.

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input on this guys, i got her into the QT tank last night and started treatment. I also picked up some of the better foods you guys recomended so will be starting that today as well.

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - Just finished up the first round of treatment today. It seems to be getting better but not totally healed yet, should i do a second round? Here are some pictures from today. Figured i'd keep her in QT until its all healed up, just not sure if i should use more of the antibiotic treatment.
1667255951663.png

1667255984684.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - Just finished up the first round of treatment today. It seems to be getting better but not totally healed yet, should i do a second round? Here are some pictures from today. Figured i'd keep her in QT until its all healed up, just not sure if i should use more of the antibiotic treatment.
1667255951663.png

1667255984684.png
Did you end up treating with Neoplex?
How many doses? You can dose every 7 days for a total of 3x
Jay

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back