Greyfaced/White Eyed Moray Eel

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally misidentified this guy as a Golden Dwarf, but have since found his true species to be a Greyfaced Moray Eel, otherwise known as a White Eyed Moray.

They don't seem to be very common in the aquarium world, so I am wondering who else, if anyone has one of these?

While on the subject, I have read that they will readily pair with other morays, even from different species. Curious if anyone has ever done so with any type of moray? I'd love to get this guy a pal, probably a snowflake, when I get a larger tank.

DSC_0361.JPG DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0208.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is he in, that guy gets to about 4' and a pretty thick fang tooth. This is a rather uncommon eel so i don't have direct knowledge with this species, but eels will co-habitate if given the proper room and set up. I would say get him a friend now that he's still a juvi, I'm not sure how aggressive this species ends up when he's mature. If the eels grow up together you'll at least be able to monitor the aggression, and step in if necessary.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in a 55 gallon, currently in a 30 gallon while the 55 is treated for Velvet. I plan on upgrading to a 210 in within 6 months or so.

I've watched a ton of videos of them in the wild, and they seem to readily share space, and even caves with other white eyes or other moray species. So far he has been a model peaceful citizen, even getting bullied by a lemonpeel that it could almost swallow.

Not sure what I would pair him with though, if I can't find another white eyed by the time I get the bigger tank, as I figure it probably best to introduce the new one then. All other morays seem to be significantly smaller, 2', or far too large, 5'+.

Coachp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll join in as i have one i bought last september at about 4inchs and big as round as a pencil.Currently its about up to a foot long and a half inch round. some of the pictures i have so far
9/19
20190906_114335.jpg

12/19
20191222_172526.jpg

3/18
20200318_164924.jpg

And feeding time today
20200622_175153.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll join in as i have one i bought last september at about 4inchs and big as round as a pencil.Currently its about up to a foot long and a half inch round. some of the pictures i have so far
9/19
20190906_114335.jpg

12/19
20191222_172526.jpg

3/18
20200318_164924.jpg

And feeding time today
20200622_175153.jpg

Tell us a little about his tank, tank mates, and attitude. Although he is still a little boy.

Coachp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us a little about his tank, tank mates, and attitude. Although he is still a little boy.

Currently hes been living in a 20g high mixed reef as an only fish. A decent mix of soft corals. For invertebrates, I believe there may still be an emerald crab or two from some bubble algae cleanup. A handful of larger hermits that have eluded becoming snacks for the time being. And some assorted snails he doent seem to have interest in.

Definitely a friendly lil guy too always hanging out in front and coming out of the rocks to watch the action in the room. What you dont see in the last picture is the solo cup, just out of frame next to corner of the tank he definitely knows when its dinner time and the cup comes out!

Within the month hes going into a 40 breeder build I'm finishing up. Its getting to be that time for him to move up tanks.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, glad to see someone else has one of these. Good to know they might be able to exist with regular crabs.

Mine has lived in a 30 gallon system for quite some time now (copper in the main tank, almost got it out), with a hermit crab, two nerites and three nassarius, and has only so far eaten one nassarius that make the mistake of showing up too early during feeding. Definitely smart, mine recognizes the powerhead shutting off and the tongs as feeding time.

Sounds like yours grew pretty fast. I haven't noticed a ton of growth, but has certainly thickened substantially from when I got him in February.

What fish do you keep yours with?

Photos aren't in order, but the one where he's in the bucket is from the day I got him.

DSC_0130.JPG DSC_0129.JPG DSC_0627.JPG DSC_0107.JPG DSC_0451.JPG DSC_0128.JPG DSC_0208.JPG DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0592.JPG DSC_0715.JPG DSC_0361.JPG DSC_0062.JPG DSC_0086.JPG

Coachp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah I was surprised to see another one around,I pop on the forums every 6 months or so, and information is on the hard side to come by for this species.

As for tank mates there are no other fish just him. And in my experience crabs really are only safe if the bigger than him. and only if not recently molted, then they become a softshelled snack
Also based off what I could find reading around is max length is around 26" so if that's correct. I assume mines roughly half grown.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had actually forgotten this thread existed until now.

Great to hear your eel is doing great, eating and growing. Absolutely awesome creatures, though I still haven't found too much about them online. I like how you feed the clam. I just drop the half shell in and the eel drags it around until it rips the clam out.

A couple videos in the wild show they get along great with other greyfaces, and even other eel species, going so far as to share burrows at times. Some sources I've read state a full grown length of up to 48"! Definitely not what I bargained for when I picked mine up.

Mine is still living on its own due to delays in my schedule, but it certainly doesn't seem to mind, though at the rate it's growing, I have to find the time to transfer it back pretty quick. Turns out the nassarius I thought it ate, I was wrong, it just wasn't coming up for food. Still hasn't eaten any of the inverts, or even the black mollies I put in to test for the velvet, which appears absent.

When I have better wifi, I'll have to post some updated photos.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this eel.
Boy, do they grow fast! When I reassembled my tank, I put him in the same bucket shown in an earlier photo. Clear size difference in just a couple months, it's amazing.

Living with a maroon clown, 6 mollies, a Hippo Tang and a Marine Betta, with assorted snails and hermits. Zero issues with any of them, despite being able to easily eat the clown and mollies. Leaves the CuC alone too. I feed him every 2-3 days, a mix of shrimp, squid, scallop and clam if I can find it and he seems to be doing pretty great.

Side note, I know all moray are pretty resistant to external parasites, but this guy tanked the velvet without any treatment, and is also not bothered by the ich in my tank either, not that anything is at the moment, not even the mollies.

How's yours doing?

DSC_1594.JPG DSC_1875.JPG DSC_1518.JPG DSC_1858.JPG DSC_1417.JPG DSC_1352.JPG

Nettie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally misidentified this guy as a Golden Dwarf, but have since found his true species to be a Greyfaced Moray Eel, otherwise known as a White Eyed Moray.

They don't seem to be very common in the aquarium world, so I am wondering who else, if anyone has one of these?

While on the subject, I have read that they will readily pair with other morays, even from different species. Curious if anyone has ever done so with any type of moray? I'd love to get this guy a pal, probably a snowflake, when I get a larger tank.

DSC_0361.JPG DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0208.JPG

DESCRIPTION​

The White-Eyed Moray Eel, also called the Freckled Moray Eel, Slender Moray Eel, or Greyface Moray Eel (Gymnothorax Thyrsoideus), is a medium-sized eel that typically has lengths of around 15″ inches up to a maximum length of 25″ inches, with a serpentine shaped body, speckled with small dark spots and has a predominantly beige color and a head that’s grey with distinctive white eyes.

The White-Eyed Moray Eel or Greyface Moray Eel is widespread throughout the Indo-Pacific area from India and the Maldives to Polynesia and from south Japan to Australia and New Caledonia. It likes shallow and somewhat turbid waters from lagoons, protected reefs and areas with debris like shipwrecks at around 35 meters deep.

The White-Eyed Moray Eel or Greyface Moray Eel is a carnivore and benthic fish that sits in a shelter during the day, and leaves its lair and actively hunts prey, consisting of small fish and crustaceans at night.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back