Grounding Probe Question - sump only?

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several questions.

(1) Can someone please send a link to a simple but accurate device for measuring stray voltage? I've looked and they get complicated quickly.
(2) HLLE is slowing creeping in, so I want to hit all possibilities. I have a 100 gallon sump in basement, with heaters and skimmer and other submersible reactor pumps. 200 gallon DT is upstairs, with a only a gyre running into the water (other pump is a Vortech MP40, so no stray electricity). If I use a ground probe, where should it go, sump or DT? Should I get two? Can electricity leaking in the sump conduct through the 20+ foot return line and appear in the DT?

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread by @Brew12
He's our resident electrician. He would be the best person to ask :)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any multimeter can measure stray voltage, you just need a probe that can fit into the socket slit. When I last checked, I just used a power bar to make it easier to reach, dropped one lead of the multimeter into the water, and used the free probe on each side of the socket in turn.

And yes, any uninterrupted flow of water can carry voltage between the display and the other tanks. The connection is broken if the return pump gets turned off and the line fills with air.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread by @Brew12
He's our resident electrician. He would be the best person to ask :)
Thanks for the call out!
(1) Can someone please send a link to a simple but accurate device for measuring stray voltage? I've looked and they get complicated quickly.
This isn't the cheapest option, but right now it's on sale and a great value imo.

(2) HLLE is slowing creeping in, so I want to hit all possibilities. I have a 100 gallon sump in basement, with heaters and skimmer and other submersible reactor pumps. 200 gallon DT is upstairs, with a only a gyre running into the water (other pump is a Vortech MP40, so no stray electricity). If I use a ground probe, where should it go, sump or DT? Should I get two? Can electricity leaking in the sump conduct through the 20+ foot return line and appear in the DT?
One ground probe in the sump will be enough.
Do you run your equipment on a GFCI? If not, I would recommend picking up something like this to use for testing.

There are two basic types of voltage we can get in our tanks. The first is induced which is caused by the interaction of magnetic fields and the water in our tanks. Not much we can do about this other than use a ground probe.

The 2nd type of voltage we worry about is a fault voltage. This means there is an exposed energized conductor in our water. Not only is this a voltage issue but it is also likely leaking contaminants into our tank water. The best way to find this, imo, is to use a combination of a GFCI and a ground probe.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back