Growing Cheato

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post this short video of how I'm growing my cheato, but R2R doesn't allow videos I guess. I've been pretty successful with it so far. I just trimmed it back to a baseball sized ball. It was three times that size yesterday which was two week's growth of the size it is now. If I let it go a month, then it almost completely fills the center of the sump and gets tangled on everything to where it stops tumbling. I believe that's the key to growing cheato. It has to tumble. To achieve this, I placed a small Cobalt power head at the bottom of the sump directed straight out or slightly downward. This causes a circular crosscurrent in the water moving across the sump. This causes the cheato to stay suspended in the water column and just tumble continuously. I use a clip-on shop light from Home Depot with a 6500K fluorescent bulb which I run from 7 pm until 10 am. This provides some pH balancing during the night when the DT lights turn off. All that tumbling current in the sump also keeps the detritus from settling. I hope this helps!

PS: If anyone knows a way to post a video here, please let me know:)

IMG_0642.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To post a video, if you're using Tapatalk on your phone, switch to web view, then paste the link from somewhere like YouTube.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeff. I need to start using Tapatalk. What I need for this post is to upload my own video. I suppose I could upload the video to YouTube and then link it. I may try that tonight.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ball of chaeto I got from you is in my 20g and I'm trying to keep it tumbling. It keeps getting stuck on stuff. I may just clean the entire tank out and leave nothing in it but the chaeto...but I'm sure it will then get sucked up onto the side of the powerhead.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I had to keep playing with the location of the power head and the direction it shoots out until I got it where it was causing a circular flow. Mine does get stuck on stuff when it get bigger or if it drifts out of the eddy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back