GSP control tactics

pmarsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to think of ways I might better control the growth of my GSP as I would rather not have to take apart rock work to trim back.

It is basically what's preventing me from aquascaping.

Also trying to think of ways to handle it growing down off the rocks and onto the bottom of my bare bottom tank.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome! Or if you're in NJ and need a frag let me know.

tank-shot.jpg

Last edited:

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kalkwasser paste. prior to a good water change mix kalkwasser into a tooth paste consistency, put into a syringe. turn off ALL flow put it on whatever you want to get rid of. let sit for 20 min do a water change, use a suction tube to get ALL Kelkwasser you can off.

issue 1- whatever it dripps on it will die as well.
issue 2 - after you turn on pump keep an eye on DKH make sure it doesn't jump to high.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is so nice looking but man is it a pita to control. I always wanted to have it cover the bottom of a barebottom tank and have the aquascape raised off the bottom but maintenance would be too frustrating.

OP
OP
pmarsh44

pmarsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Silent I had thought of building a wall of epoxied rubble around the bases of my rockwork and when the GSP inevitably grows over it I just pull it up, break up the wall, and frag it that way.

If you do ever go down this road, I have found that a good amount of gunk does collect under a GSP mat. Not sure how bad it can get, but something to be aware of, bristles love hiding under it as well.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Silent I had thought of building a wall of epoxied rubble around the bases of my rockwork and when the GSP inevitably grows over it I just pull it up, break up the wall, and frag it that way.

If you do ever go down this road, I have found that a good amount of gunk does collect under a GSP mat. Not sure how bad it can get, but something to be aware of, bristles love hiding under it as well.
+1 bristleworms like to hide under it. I just noticed this the other night when I fed frozen food. Several of them were poking out from under my gsp mat on some LR. I will keep this in mind when it is time to trim some back.

As far as controlling GSP, I have not ran into any issues yet..I have always kept mine on an island and it has not grown anywhere else, yet. It has completely covered the island after about 9-10 months though. If I had this much gsp, I would probably start manually removing it and trade it in or sell a bunch of large frags of it, even though it is a pain.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back