GSP(green star) Tips on keeping it

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks does not have coral, in fact this will be my first coral ever. What are some tips for keeping it. I know they can spread quickly but also heard they sometimes grow a matt over the sand bed and by so extending to other areas. Just want some basic info or personal experiences.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much to it. Provide it with decent flow and stable water chemistry and your set.
Also lights play a roll in growth, but most lighting will sustain it at the very least.
Its a great first coral as it will retract if something is bothering it, so its a good early indicator if something is wrong.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is a good coral to start with. I have some basic Marineland LED lights on my tank, and it grows like crazy!

It will retract when something is bothering it, but also will retract for no reason at all. If you put it on the sand bed it will grow like a mat, and is easy to cut when it needs to be trimmed. When it grows on rock, much harder to get off a rock if needed.

I like how it looks, next time I cut mine I'm going to put some on the back glass and try to get it to cover the back wall.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some towards the beginning of my tank when the water was “dirty” and it grew like a weed. Back then things weren’t nearly as stable and not much seemed to bother it. Only once I started lowering my nitrates did it stop growing and then receed.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good flow, loves light and nutrients. Try to isolate it so if it gets out of hand you can trim it back easily. Ours grows on the overflow.
20171120_183306.jpg

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I think I'll put it on its own island. If it starts to grow over the sand, the idea of the back wall has always intrigued me. Nice chunk you got there @DSCreef.

If anything starts to look wrong with it I will ask here again. Thanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I think I'll put it on its own island. If it starts to grow over the sand, the idea of the back wall has always intrigued me. Nice chunk you got there @DSCreef.

If anything starts to look wrong with it I will ask here again. Thanks
Thank you, looking forward to seeing some pics once it's in your tank. It's a really nice looking coral to add some movement in the tank.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! I bought the gsp and found red worm inside of it. As i was going to the store to get my coral dip they ran out of it.

Thing is i bought the coral in one store and the dip was going to be on another one so thats why i dont have the dip with me. It may be a bristle

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned with a toothbrush the lower parts of the coral and used a blaster to wash out any remains

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It freaked me out when i was pulling the coral out of the glue, it popped out of a hole the worm [emoji23]

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms freak people out, but are harmless. In my opinion they are a beneficial part of your clean up crew. In the future, if you see one, you can leave it. However, if you really want it gone, DON"T EVER touch it with your bare hands or you will find out just how it earned its name. Happy reefing!

Jim

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I was just making the water change plus the coral, and controlling the diatom bloom just a little. @jrwoltman I know they are beneficial and have heard they grow big, just wasn't expecting it inside the coral, and got it, no touching it bare handed.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a good sign? I've noticed some green spots on it that were not yesterday there.

815ed95d385af1684b279808a99d9912.jpg

3939d71959162daa3a0d428772e60f1d.jpg

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care tips: Avoid blasting them with full force white lighting
Dose very small amount (like 1/4th recommended dose of kent iodine or similar)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back