Guarding against electrical shock: What steps do you take?

BRS

Have you ever been shocked or had an electrical mishap that was aquarium related?

  • YES (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 156 40.1%
  • NO

    Votes: 231 59.4%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 2 0.5%

  • Total voters
    389

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
43,468
Reaction score
67,696
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Electricity and water don't mix as it is bad for your health! Running an aquarium shouldn't cause us to fear things like electrical shock but we should have a healthy respect for it and take precautions when setting up a tank and working in our tanks. Let's talk about it today!

1. How do you take care to guard against electrical shock or electrical mishaps around your tank?

2. Have you ever been shocked or had an electrical mishap that was aquarium related?


Fire.jpg
 

fishguy242

Cronies
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
Messages
25,856
Reaction score
139,549
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
southern il
gcfi's ,decent breaker power strips.ground probes in tanks AND sumps,never barefoot on concrete floor,
watch that salt creep,as seen on power strip above ,will trip breakers ,but will still be burning,
good day to check your equipment... ;)
 

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
2,671
Reaction score
10,177
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Indiana - born and bred
Being lazy with power strips and left one on floor face up..."temporarily". Little splash from tank maintenance and "poof" a nice whiff of the old ozone and plastic burn and there goes two outlets. It was fused power strips so didn't blow any gear or melt, burn or otherwise cause any more damage. So yeah, don't be lazy about cable and power strip management and always buy fused protected power strips.
 

TJ Merrells

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
72
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My tank is about 6 months old. Recently started noticing when I put my hand in my sump, if I have any cuts on my hands, get a very sharp pain in the cut. Much sharper pain than that of saltwater in a cut. I'm suspecting I'm having stray voltage into my tank. I just ordered a ground probe and will be installing a gfci outlet. Also will be checking with a volt meter.

What makes me even more suspicious that I do have stray voltage is a believe I've had issues with the bacteria imbalances in my tank. For example I was trying out Aquachar. Alot of people say that it'll float for the first while and after about a week or so it'll populate with bacteria and begin to sink down. I have mine in a mesh bag and weighed down with some rubble rock so it stays submerged. After 6 weeks it would still be able to float which tells me it isn't populating with bacteria. I talked to several people who use this product and all were baffled. Which now leads me to Beleive that possibly stray voltage in my tank is affecting my beneficial bacteria populations
 

tastyfish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2017
Messages
516
Reaction score
429
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Hampshire
I got a shock from my mains (240v) voltage CFL refugium light where salt had crept all over it. Thankfully it went down my arm and into the sump vs through my core.

I try to use DC wherever possible in the tank, but the CFL is easily the best light
 

ppatches24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2019
Messages
261
Reaction score
221
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Westminster CO
Oh the timing. Yesterday 4 of my fished died and a shrimp over night for seemingly no reason.

I really want to hear the stories of finding stray voltage. I tested my tank and am getting .8 volts in the tank. 3 of the other fish are acting and look normal. The mandrin, female clown and Mel wrasse. And corals look to be the same as before.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what could kill a tang, clownfish, 2 firefish and a shrimp over night but the others are fine.

My only thought is stray voltage. How do the fish act when stray voltage is coming in? How fast is the death? It would depend on the amount of voltage right? If it's a slow leak could it stress them out over time and kill them off all at once? I've been able to test the water when the last fire fish was swimming all crazy and there was no voltage at that time.
 

randalli

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2021
Messages
8
Reaction score
68
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Germany
One electrocution and one power failure.
The power failure was a crappy skimmer on my frag tank that tended to spray like a fountain when something was wrong with the air tube. One morning it sprayed water out of the tank and into an outlet that triggered the main fuse. Guess when that happened ... right ... during the Christmas holidays when I was out of town. My girlfriend called me one morning that the electricity was off. Lucky me I was on my way home already and could fix it within 4 hours. No casualties.
The electrocution took place when I switched on the power outlet my water exchange return pump was connected to. Had a dry hand and a wet hand. Guess which hand I used to switch the pump on ... nice zap though. Was wide awake afterwards. Started to dry both hands before switching anything ;)
 

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2017
Messages
1,971
Reaction score
2,904
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Grove City, Ohio
In the dark ages, before GFCI was even a thing, I had a powerhead on my reverse flow undergravel filter stop working. It was a MJ1200 as I recall. I unplugged it and took it to the kitchen sink to clean it and see what the problem was.

After cleaning, I put it in a (metal) bowl full of water in the sink and plugged it in to see if it was working. Nope. So I grabbed it to give it a good shake. Next thing I knew I was about 10' away, on the floor leaning against the wall.

I spent the next 45 minutes or so wandering around the house, telling myself "Sure - I'm ok" Should I have gone to the ER? Certainly, but I didn't because that's where I worked and I didn't want my coworkers to discover just how much of an idiot I can be!

That PH went to the trash!

Now, EVERYTHING tank related is connected to one of several GFCI outlets. Never again, TYVM!!!
 
Last edited:

ReeferMadness01

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2020
Messages
127
Reaction score
78
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Crowley
Had a cheap box light for my fug. Didn’t realize I was spilling water on it when I changed filter socks. Went to move some chaeto around and it hurt…so the only obvious thing to do was ask the gf to stick her finger in it too. now I’m running a Neptune GRO
 
Last edited:
BRS

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

  • Calcium (most)

    Votes: 48 6.2%
  • Alkalinity (most)

    Votes: 539 69.2%
  • Magnesium (most)

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

    Votes: 74 9.5%
  • PH (most)

    Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Nitrate (most)

    Votes: 82 10.5%
  • Nitrite (most)

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Ammonia (most)

    Votes: 24 3.1%
  • (least) Calcium

    Votes: 12 1.5%
  • (least) Alkalinity

    Votes: 4 0.5%
  • (least) Magnesium

    Votes: 76 9.8%
  • (least) Phosphate

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • (least) PH

    Votes: 42 5.4%
  • (least) Nitrate

    Votes: 14 1.8%
  • (least) Nitrite

    Votes: 217 27.9%
  • (least) Ammonia

    Votes: 290 37.2%
Koral Kingdom
Top