Gulf Coast

A_family_man13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is your fish load?
So started off with 0/near 0 nitrates. Had only fish and a few coral. I have a clown,blue tang, 6 line, cardinal, lawn mower, mandarin, snowflake eel, serpent starfish, 5 nasasrius snails, a few turbo snails, emerald crabs, and hermit crabs. I have the same fish since I started. Wanted to start ventureing into more coral. Was recommended to increase feedings, changing the socks and cleaning the skimmer to once a week. Everything was steady climbing. I went on vacation for 2 weeks. My friend kept the same feeding schedule but didn’t clean the skimmer or socks. Been above the 70/80 since. At one point was above the highest reading amount. I changed 35 gals, plus doing the nopox. I got the nitrates down the the 70/80. I do 5 gallon water change a week, feed every other day between 3 different frozen foods and flakes. Had a refugium for about 4 months and then my light went out. Jus got new cheato 2 weeks ago. I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.
IMG_3980.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 24

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So started off with 0/near 0 nitrates. Had only fish and a few coral. I have a clown,blue tang, 6 line, cardinal, lawn mower, mandarin, snowflake eel, serpent starfish, 5 nasasrius snails, a few turbo snails, emerald crabs, and hermit crabs. I have the same fish since I started. Wanted to start ventureing into more coral. Was recommended to increase feedings, changing the socks and cleaning the skimmer to once a week. Everything was steady climbing. I went on vacation for 2 weeks. My friend kept the same feeding schedule but didn’t clean the skimmer or socks. Been above the 70/80 since. At one point was above the highest reading amount. I changed 35 gals, plus doing the nopox. I got the nitrates down the the 70/80. I do 5 gallon water change a week, feed every other day between 3 different frozen foods and flakes. Had a refugium for about 4 months and then my light went out. Jus got new cheato 2 weeks ago. I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.
IMG_3980.jpeg
How large is your tank? Do you know how much water is in your system? I have a cheap fuge light you can have.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give that chaeto time, it will likely bring it down. Also start blasting your rocks and dead space with a baster, clean the socks right after.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there does not look like a ton of flow from that picture, you may need way more flow. There are likely many dead spots, you need to get anything that has settled back into the water column, clean socks.

A_family_man13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your tank? Do you know how much water is in your system? I have a cheap fuge light you can have.
I got a new light 2 weeks ago not exactly sure how much water but it’s a 90 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. I’d say with the live rock prolly around 65/70 gallons. Thanks for the offer with the light!

A_family_man13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there does not look like a ton of flow from that picture, you may need way more flow. There are likely many dead spots, you need to get anything that has settled back into the water column, clean socks.
I turn off the water flow for the pic. I have a dead spot on the far right side. That should be only dead spot.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new light 2 weeks ago not exactly sure how much water but it’s a 90 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. I’d say with the live rock prolly around 65/70 gallons. Thanks for the offer with the light!
Sure thing. If you need any more chaeto, let me know. I grow tons of it and end up just composting it.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told u want real low phosphate, that there is a bacteria that eats nitrates and phosphate. no phosphate and the bacteria doesn’t exist. Overall my goal is to lower nitrates. I can’t keep zoas they always die on me, same for any type of leather. All my other parameters seem to be stable.

Are you wanting to keep zoas?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your compost process. The building is the easy part for me.

What all are you composting? How are you turning the compost? Do you fill a bin and move down the line?

Trust me, we are not going through a real process like some people do. We have not even turned it yet. It took us over a year to get the first bin 3/4 of the way full. The boards you see on each bin actually slide out to let us be able to get to the bottom. We compost a lot of stuff though, coffee grounds, fruit remnants, cardboard, paper, branches, shrubs that die, etc. The first bin is almost full so we have moved on to the second bin. I figure when the third one is full we can move back to the first. Oh and since we are doing white worms I figure when a culture starts dying off, they go right into the compost bin.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, we are not going through a real process like some people do. We have not even turned it yet. It took us over a year to get the first bin 3/4 of the way full. The boards you see on each bin actually slide out to let us be able to get to the bottom. We compost a lot of stuff though, coffee grounds, fruit remnants, cardboard, paper, branches, shrubs that die, etc. The first bin is almost full so we have moved on to the second bin. I figure when the third one is full we can move back to the first. Oh and since we are doing white worms I figure when a culture starts dying off, they go right into the compost bin.
You'll have to let me know how that turns out. When I'm making furniture, I sometimes make more than 50 gallons of planer chips in a day. So I use that as all of my brown material and then grab everything I can for greens to try to break that down. I won't be doing anything for the next 6 months or so, but I might make a bunch of those when I get back.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to let me know how that turns out. When I'm making furniture, I sometimes make more than 50 gallons of planer chips in a day. So I use that as all of my brown material and then grab everything I can for greens to try to break that down. I won't be doing anything for the next 6 months or so, but I might make a bunch of those when I get back.

I am not that great at wood working, I better stay in my lane.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back