Gulf Coast

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank or experienced ? It's my first, Very green here
This is my second tank, but my first was 20 years ago when I was in middle school and high school. I can barely count that as any experience at all.

Bulk reef supply has a ton of YouTube material that is very educational. I watched every second of their content I could find and I feel like that helped a ton.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins lol

This is the one I got, I remember paying about $500 for it but my memory may be off. I said 5k watt each, they are actually 4k watt each.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as hurricane preparedness is concerned...

If you purchase a generator, which is good to have whether you have a tank or not, you'll want to keep extra parts on hand as well. Gas, oil, fuses, spark plugs, carb cleaner, etc. It can be a real pain trying to get a generator started that's been sitting neglected in the garage all year, and you can't just run and buy a new fuse if you blow one.

But if you're just running a portable generator, its not feasible to keep it running all the time. You may want to look into secondary options as well.

My current plan (I havent fully decided yet) is purchasing an Aqueon model 700 ($20), 75ah battery ($150) and inverter ($50). That'll give me around 240 hours/10 days of 700gph flow.

1662560204501.png

1662558008121.png

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as hurricane preparedness is concerned...

If you purchase a generator, which is good to have whether you have a tank or not, you'll want to keep extra parts on hand as well. Gas, oil, fuses, spark plugs, carb cleaner, etc. It can be a real pain trying to get a generator started that's been sitting neglected in the garage all year, and you can't just run and buy a new fuse if you blow one.

But if you're just running a portable generator, its not feasible to keep it running all the time. You may want to look into secondary options as well.

My current plan (I havent fully decided yet) is purchasing an Aqueon model 700 ($20), 75ah battery ($150) and inverter ($50). That'll give me around 240 hours/10 days of 700gph flow.

1662560204501.png

1662558008121.png
What is your plan in terms of keeping the temperature down if your power is down for an extended period of time? I was already looking at a champion generator but I definitely want to get a dual fuel so I can run it on propane instead of standing on line for gas.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably look into to promoting evaporation with a fan, and maybe run the generator during the hottest times of the day. I think generally oxygen/gas exchange is the main thing. Hopefully it wont get 90 degrees inside the house, but you need to be prepared if it does.

I have a Westinghouse dual fuel generator, I've had it a few years and works well. It got us through Sally, I had a freshwater tank at the time.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably look into to promoting evaporation with a fan, and maybe run the generator during the hottest times of the day. I think generally oxygen/gas exchange is the main thing. Hopefully it wont get 90 degrees inside the house, but you need to be prepared if it does.

I have a Westinghouse dual fuel generator, I've had it a few years and works well. It got us through Sally, I had a freshwater tank at the time.
I guess I'll try to pickup a portable AC unit as well. The problem is storing all of this stuff....

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll try to pickup a portable AC unit as well. The problem is storing all of this stuff....

Oh I know. I stacked my generators to save some space. I have both portable AC units in my closet where my clothes are. I may never need them, but I will be very thankful if the time comes.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember guys, for those that have no other AC units laying around, you can go a long way with frozen water bottles.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anybody interested in splitting a livestock order from liveaquaria.com to save on shipping? I would like to order a captive bred court jester goby but buying a single fish quickly takes it from a $35 fish to a $75 fish.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember guys, for those that have no other AC units laying around, you can go a long way with frozen water bottles.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I could hook the fridge up to the generator and run the ice maker.

But if we are without power for more than a day, my family will likely head to stay with family in Atlanta and I will probably be stuck on overtime at the fire department.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anybody interested in splitting a livestock order from liveaquaria.com to save on shipping? I would like to order a captive bred court jester goby but buying a single fish quickly takes it from a $35 fish to a $75 fish.

I was going to bring this up soon. Back when we had the club going, this is something we would all do is go together on live orders to save on shipping. I am not positive if I would want anything, but I will ask Christina. I was really let down on their invertebrates during my last shipment, actually everything. The Goby ended up dying, seemed really stressed out. The coral I got from them was good, but everything else was lackluster.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to bring this up soon. Back when we had the club going, this is something we would all do is go together on live orders to save on shipping. I am not positive if I would want anything, but I will ask Christina. I was really let down on their invertebrates during my last shipment, actually everything. The Goby ended up dying, seemed really stressed out. The coral I got from them was good, but everything else was lackluster.
I could also order straight from Biota but they are more expensive on shipping and gave a higher threshold to get free shipping. The one time I ordered from liveaquaria, everything lived. I'm not sure who else carries captive bred court jester gobies.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also order straight from Biota but they are more expensive on shipping and gave a higher threshold to get free shipping. The one time I ordered from liveaquaria, everything lived. I'm not sure who else carries captive bred court jester gobies.

I would be hesitant to order anything. We are getting to the point of running out of room without ordering anything, lol. At least at this point in time.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I might be down for that. Let me look tonight

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to order anything. We are getting to the point of running out of room without ordering anything, lol. At least at this point in time.
Your tank looked well stocked. What size is your tank? I think you should go ahead and start working on that massive one for the corner of your family room.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back