H. Mag Cipro

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a H. Mag from my LFS a few days ago. They had it for about 2 weeks before I took it home. It looked good the first day and is now in the typical inflate/deflate cycle with its mouth gaping from time to time.
I bought a bottle of Cipro from my LFS. I have a 10 gallon tank with an MP10, heater, and airline. I divided the equipment off with a piece of eggcrate.
I am going to move the anemone over shortly. I have to siphon out some detritus that made its way into the QT.
Any input or tips would be appreciated!
wish me luck :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should help steer you on the right path :)

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should help steer you on the right path :)

This is what I have based my approach on so far.
Forgot to mention I’ll have a Kessil 160 for lighting to keep it happy.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would monitor salinity and temperature in your WC. Make sure you don’t blast with too much light as they can bleach out during treatment. Watch for ammonia like cloudy water and do a full WC right away.

Having a large container of pre made water helps. A Rubbermaid storage container that you can pump water back in with a hose makes it quick.

I had a mertensii that didn’t make it recently through treatment. It started to have dissolve with chunks from its body. But another one that did fine.

Best of luck.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck bud, and welcome to the club. I was in your position a few months ago. For me i changed water iin the treatment tank daily, i took water from the display and put in the hospital tank and replaced the display tank water with new water, rather than replace the treated water directly where the nem is. Biggest word of advice...be very very very patient. Wishing you the best of luck...they are very tricky, but like many have said once settled in you should be fine.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I’ll be sure to change the water daily. I have a 44 gallon brute full of mixed water.
I wasn’t able to move the nem over last night since it was firmly stuck on the glass. Not wanting to damage its food, I pointed the return nozzle towards it in hopes that it would start moving. It was much easier to pull off today. Its in the QT and looking okay. Mouth is still open and its still slightly deflated.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FFD7FB4F-FA39-445D-B36B-DE7AB5EBD696.jpeg

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth noting that this anemone was in a system with a (presumably) captive cultured RBTA. I’ve heard mixing wild and captive cultured anemones can cause problems.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your anemone. I would not worry bout wild/captive, but would worry more about well/sick. Sick anemone will often passed their disease to well anemone in the same tank, especially if the well anemone is of the same species. I have had sick anemone passed the disease to a different species before, I always QT all my anemone that I think may be sick.
For treatment, It is best to change 100% of the water daily, preferably at the begin of the night cycle and add antibiotic. However, when ever the water is cloudy, change 100% of the water and add antibiotic. Suck out any solid discharge when ever you see it. I do not replace the small amount of the water I suck out.

Good luck again.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your anemone. I would not worry bout wild/captive, but would worry more about well/sick. Sick anemone will often passed their disease to well anemone in the same tank, especially if the well anemone is of the same species. I have had sick anemone passed the disease to a different species before, I always QT all my anemone that I think may be sick.
For treatment, It is best to change 100% of the water daily, preferably at the begin of the night cycle and add antibiotic. However, when ever the water is cloudy, change 100% of the water and add antibiotic. Suck out any solid discharge when ever you see it. I do not replace the small amount of the water I suck out.

Good luck again.

Thanks!
Day 1 - The water is still looking clear. Planning to do a waterchange and replace antibiotics tonight.
Based on the picture above how would you rate the nem from 1-10?
10 being good, 1 not so much.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Day 1 - The water is still looking clear. Planning to do a waterchange and replace antibiotics tonight.
Based on the picture above how would you rate the nem from 1-10?
10 being good, 1 not so much.
I don't rate them (that's @Amoo) You got to understand that anemone changes during the day. He can look as #1 in the morning and number 7 in the afternoon.
I would pay attention to the worst look during 24 hrs. Is his worst today worst or the same as his worst look the next day? If the answer to this question is NO, then he is good and will recover.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rate them (that's @Amoo) You got to understand that anemone changes during the day. He can look as #1 in the morning and number 7 in the afternoon.
I would pay attention to the worst look during 24 hrs. Is his worst today worst or the same as his worst look the next day? If the answer to this question is NO, then he is good and will recover.

Completed the first waterchange and redose.
Hes was already looking better today. Mouth slightly tighter and overall better appearance. Obviously he wasn’t too happy with the waterchange.
Hes decided that the side all of the tank is a nice spot to hang out which made it tricky not to stress him out too much. I tilted the tank as it drained so he wasnt hanging off the side as much.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3
Looking better once again.
I have a cheap marineland light over the QT right now. Do you think I should move the 160 over and keep the intensity low?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put as good light as you can. I would not go buy a reef light but any bright light that won’t heat up the tank will do. Kessil is great. I put a Radion on mine when I have a spare one.
or one of these. It is a cheap daylight 19 W about 100W equivalent 5500K LED
A69E970C-07EB-4E52-89FA-C73C3E765529.jpeg
32C66106-63C0-4750-9D67-A8DC0A65EE56.jpeg

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put as good light as you can. I would not go buy a reef light but any bright light that won’t heat up the tank will do. Kessil is great. I put a Radion on mine when I have a spare one.
or one of these. It is a cheap daylight 19 W about 100W equivalent 5500K LED
A69E970C-07EB-4E52-89FA-C73C3E765529.jpeg
32C66106-63C0-4750-9D67-A8DC0A65EE56.jpeg

I can pull a 160 that im using as supplemental lighting on my display.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 5 looking much better.
No irregular inflation/deflation cycles for the past 3 days now.
At what point should I consider putting it back in my display?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back