Haddoni Tank Mates

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
What types of fish "predator" are in the tank?

So basically you're looking for corals that your fish will not eat?

Soft corals or stony corals?

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals preferably because I’m new to saltwater tanks. This tank is 90g.

I have a lionfish and an urchin in there right now. May add an eel and another urchin as well as some hermits eventually.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals preferably because I’m new to saltwater tanks. This tank is 90g.

I have a lionfish and an urchin in there right now. May add an eel and another urchin as well as some hermits eventually.
The below tank has a dwarf moray and had a dwarf lion at one point in time, as it was super small when I got it and was afraid of putting the little guy in with the big fish in the big tank lol. The small fish were not in there when the dwarf lion was in there also lol.

It is a 90 gallon with about every type of coral. Urchins are the only thing I would worry about as they move things if they are not fastened down well.

Edit: The dwarf Moray is still in there.

IMG_2262.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool/Sarcophyton.
Cabbage coral/Sinularia.
Any of the Mushrooms.

Haddoni are fish eaters big time.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool/Sarcophyton.
Cabbage coral/Sinularia.
Any of the Mushrooms.

Haddoni are fish eaters big time.
Haddonis will eat fish, but over the years I have noticed when clowns are present that the nem lets host, fish do not get eaten.

The clowns will run any fish off that gets too close, and I think this helps with that.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish have a huge mouth. Anything shorter than him will be fair game and will end up as food. He will produce too much waste for a reef tank. I would re home him. He may ended up as food for the Haddoni.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish have a huge mouth. Anything shorter than him will be fair game and will end up as food. He will produce too much waste for a reef tank. I would re home him. He may ended up as food for the Haddoni.

A lionfish? Food for the haddoni? They’ve been in the same tank together for over a year... I just recently bought the tank and moved it to my house. And I’m not necessarily trying to build a reef tank. I know he as well as the haddoni make it hard to build a reef. I just want to add some color to my tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between a large Lion fish and a large Haddoni I am not surprise they there is not much else in the tank. If you’re looking to add corals then it is a reeftank. The corals and fishes will not do well with a large Lionfish in it.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I assumed you'd remove the lionfish when you asked about adding corals.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I assumed you'd remove the lionfish when you asked about adding corals.

No. Hes still in there. But like i mentioned earlier, He doesn't mess with the haddoni at all.

Does having a lion mean no coral? I've seen tanks with multiple dwarfs and corals in there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Hes still in there. But like i mentioned earlier, He doesn't mess with the haddoni at all.

Does having a lion mean no coral? I've seen tanks with multiple dwarfs and corals in there.
It is more when they get full grown. That is why mine got moved to an aggressive only tank. When small to medium they do ok. But it will not last long term when they are full grown.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more when they get full grown. That is why mine got moved to an aggressive only tank. When small to medium they do ok. But it will not last long term when they are full grown.

He's not full grown.. I'm honestly not even sure of his age.. i need to ask his previous owner to see if he knows. But he seems to have plenty of room in the 90g tank. He does need more hiding places so i may be getting some more rock for the tank soon.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not full grown.. I'm honestly not even sure of his age.. i need to ask his previous owner to see if he knows. But he seems to have plenty of room in the 90g tank. He does need more hiding places so i may be getting some more rock for the tank soon.
He will do fine in a 90, but it needs to be an aggressive species only tank for him to stay fine when large. To me 5-6” is large for that guy. At that size it can eat a full grown clown with no issues. I apologize if me originally saying it could be done was not elaborated more as our lion did get removed due to size and wanting to go a mixed reef route. With that said, I have been where you are wanting this but want to add that, so to speak. It is a hard choice, but sadly in our glass boxes we have to choose. I choose to make the 90 a mixed reef, and then do an aggressive tank with zoas/palys and some leathers. So to correct my lack of a full explanation with my experiences it can do fine temporarily but long term it does not work. Species/aggressive only tank with softies for the corals will work long term. The haddoni long term is a toss up for an aggressive tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back