• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank 90 Gallons. Has been running about 4 months now. I have hair algae growth everywhere. And can not figure out for the life of me why. I do all the test p04, nitrite nitrate ammonia, And everything reads 0 all my test are new and not out of date. The hair algae is on everything. Have a fuge running, with chaeto only 3 fish for stock and 1 coral. I do feed mysis shrimp but they are rinsed and i do use RO DI water for my water changes. Please help! Its Driving me crazy!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did the rock come from? It's possible that the rock it's self if leaching phosphate. It is also likely that you do have phosphate and nitrate and your tests kits aren't picking it up because your algea is eating up as it is produced so it's not showing up with your tests.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a certain point you need to go big too. peroxide dosing, algae fix vibrant etc.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rock is BRS Reef Saver, And the test kit i have is salifert. I dont believe the algae is eating it up that much, as its not large clumps more like a layer.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did the rock come from? It's possible that the rock it's self if leaching phosphate. It is also likely that you do have phosphate and nitrate and your tests kits aren't picking it up because your algea is eating up as it is produced so it's not showing up with your tests.

the rock is BRS Reef Saver, And the test kit i have is salifert. I dont believe the algae is eating it up that much, as its not large clumps more like a layer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly phase is weird. esp IMO dry rock tanks. it takes a while to get the bio filter to speed and process nutrints. in dry rock that takes time. SO anything will take it's place to use those nutrients, generally algae or cyano.
the trick is to keep knocking it down OR "burn with fire" approach. Scrubbing rasping and peroxide dips will help. also consider some bacterial boosters too. Dr tims, Probidio etc to help the bio filter along.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that probably isn't leaching phosphate. The fact is that algae doesn't grow out of nothing. There has to be a nutrient source. Your chaeto is surely sucking up it's share as well. Four months is pretty new in the scheme of things. Have you added adequate snails and or hermits?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and definitely reassess your CUC size. Turbos, crabs.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that probably isn't leaching phosphate. The fact is that algae doesn't grow out of nothing. There has to be a nutrient source. Your chaeto is surely sucking up it's share as well. Four months is pretty new in the scheme of things. Have you added adequate snails and or hermits?

Currently have 2 Turbo snails 4 other snails i cant remember the name of and 3 hermit crabs. Going to my local store tomorrow to get acouple corals and some nassarius snails. How many should i have in my tank i dont want to put like 1000's in there and then they dont have enough foodin the tank or i have to over feed, I also have a trigger systems emerald 34 sump with 2 socks on it, I change the socks dailey and a aquamaxx skimmer, Pulling out a great deal of nasty. Any recomendations on a safe number in clean up crew?

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way here is what my fuge looks like. It's thicker down here than in the tank which I'm fine with. But this is me just showing a little of what I'm dealing with

image.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way here is what my fuge looks like. It's thicker down here than in the tank which I'm fine with. But this is me just showing a little of what I'm dealing with

image.jpg
you dont have enough flow in the Display.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you know? I have 2 Tunze powerheads running at 40% in a surge mode. and a jaebo 1200 running at 30% i Should be having plenty of turn over.
sump is too clean. with good turb in the DT it keeps particles in suspension longer to keep it in the WC to get it to the sump.
whats your return rate in ghp . the 1200 pump? too low a return will leave the particles in the DT and the never get to the sump.
the skimmers sweet, its a monster. skimmate looks pretty good. you should IMO , already have gunk in the skimmer chamber after 4 monts.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump is too clean. with good turb in the DT it keeps particles in suspension longer to keep it in the WC to get it to the sump.
whats your return rate in ghp . the 1200 pump? too low a return will leave the particles in the DT and the never get to the sump.
the skimmers sweet, its a monster. skimmate looks pretty good. you should IMO , already have gunk in the skimmer chamber after 4 monts.

The sump was just upgraded the the emerald last sunday, Is why its so clean :p And i believe it is 3400 GPH at max

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000?
when did you upgrade? is the skimmer new.
I still dont think your running at ten x my tank wouldn't have that in the fuge. that would be in my sponge.
I totally want to see the DT btw. Im a huge tunze fan.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean your fuge wouldn't have what, what would be in your sponge? This is the only picture I have the of the dt currently. I have the 2 pumps facing almost to the front middle of the tank and they alternate about every 10 minutes to change up flow.

IMG_0209.JPG

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was litterally just after i finished doing the sump upgrade lol. So i have a mess all over the thank.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tunze 6105's Is what running on a 6095 multicontroller, Also run it moonlight, and nightmode. I am going tohave a mixed reef, I love softies, But that SPS is where ill know im rocking at this thing, I also have coming in the mail tomorrow a trigger systems 5 gallon ATO container, With a Hydor ATO controller, and a toms aqualifter pump. So my stuff will stay even more level. Atleast ill only have to fill it once a week instead of toping off every day lol! But ill always change my socks :p and plan to dose Kalkwasser through the ATO, My ph right now stays about 7.8 8.0 So i need to get it up!

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove as much as you can manually, I cut a piece of half inch PVC about 2 feet long and super glued a tile grout brush in the end for this. After you remove as much as possible give the system a dose of vibrant.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back