OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove as much as you can manually, I cut a piece of half inch PVC about 2 feet long and super glued a tile grout brush in the end for this. After you remove as much as possible give the system a dose of vibrant.

Just scrub it off andlet the tank collect it or do ineed to hand pick it out of thetank

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting the same fight in my newer tank- in spite of the rocks all being good - from my own prior system. I finally figured out that my RODI was in need of help = 4-6 TDS . But my tests were not showing any PO4 or nitrate or ammonia. I am no chemist , somethign about organic bound so tests don't read all of it. Anyhow- just trying to help = check your RODI. I have been doing more water changes after changing out all my RODI filters and now my TDS is ZERO. That is helping my system. I manually removed it as well - picking it off where I could. Also- check your Magnesium- if it is good ( 1200-1400) - then the hair algae will be easy to pick off, and higher Mg will inhibit algae growth.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated look at the dt. Everything is looking to clear up. Bought a few corals today. Still want a Nass snail. Store didn't have any today :(

IMG_0218.JPG

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ato container came in today but no hydor controller Amazon shipped it to the wrong place lol. But they are reshaping with free two day shipping should be here Wednesday!

IMG_0216.PNG

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank 90 Gallons. Has been running about 4 months now. I have hair algae growth everywhere. And can not figure out for the life of me why. I do all the test p04, nitrite nitrate ammonia, And everything reads 0 all my test are new and not out of date. The hair algae is on everything. Have a fuge running, with chaeto only 3 fish for stock and 1 coral. I do feed mysis shrimp but they are rinsed and i do use RO DI water for my water changes. Please help! Its Driving me crazy!
Can I put in my two cents???? I just solved a hair algae problem in my 120 gal mixed reef tank. It took 5 months to solve.I tried everything...Read books, R2R LFS etc nothing worked. No3 5 ppm (Nyos) PO4 0.00 (Hanna). Only feed once a day. Manually removing the algae. Spent a lot of money on more CUC. Nothing worked. Then I relate really started to crashad somewhere to raise my Magnesium To 1800 ppm. (I never got it that high though). Started to raise the Magnesium. I started to remove the rocks that I could remove easily and washed them with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Got a big bottle with a squirt top and would squirt the rock down and let it set for about 4 minutes and put it back in the tank. Still manually removed as much as I could. Kept raising Magnesium. (it got to about 1500 pp when I stopped dosing).I was starting to win.... Then I decreased my photo period. Algae really started to crash. Kept up with the H2O2 treatments and the manual removal. I now have 99% of the Hair algae gone. But I keep asking the important question....What actually got rid of the hair algae? A combination of every thing or just one thing? If I had to guess....reducing the photo period had the biggest effect. I hope this helps.

Steffan1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank syndrome. Happens to most. Check media. Do water changes. Add clean-up crew. A tang. But Don't panic. Usually goes away.

jttaillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even see any hair algae in the picture. Those rocks are still very white and will go through some phases of algae growth before looking like established live rock. I added some of the same brs rock to an established system and it grows different types of algae before the coralline algae takes over. It takes time to look pretty! I don't think you have anything to worry about unless it is big enough to just pick off with your fingers. It takes time to have a tank mature and there are some not so pretty phases.

OP
OP
xviijdx

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even see any hair algae in the picture. Those rocks are still very white and will go through some phases of algae growth before looking like established live rock. I added some of the same brs rock to an established system and it grows different types of algae before the coralline algae takes over. It takes time to look pretty! I don't think you have anything to worry about unless it is big enough to just pick off with your fingers. It takes time to have a tank mature and there are some not so pretty phases.

Thanks guys I do believe that it was a combination of new tank syndrom just looking ugly and what not. I do appreciate every ones help, Like i said seems like most of it is going away, Still do have some diatoms but i know that is usual. Looking forward to hopefully the next 100 years hahaha! Im so excited, Trying to keep it slow at the same time as learning things... I am already loving this forum just nice to have people around me with the same passion Again Thanks a lot everyone for the replies!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back