Half my fish died

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the frozen food that gets fed? Has it possibly thawed and refrozen? Or possibly some was leftover at night and thrown in the next day? Perhaps 2-5 days before the fish loss. I have on rare occasions seen this work as a precursor to serious disease in an otherwise stable tank.

How could u ever prove this was the cause to any disease ?

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish died in less then 6 hours of each other. Yes once I left food out. But my homemade food I always thaw out a little then give it to them then refreeze

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might it be oxygen deprivation? Without a skimmer to oxygenate the water and the house is tightly closed that might happen. Sorry to hear that and you have an awesome tank!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could u ever prove this was the cause to any disease ?
In this case, there is something that was added to the tank, either knowingly or unknowingly.

If now livestock have been added recently, no power outages, it is something that affects fish more than corals, the fish that survied are super hardy(damsel), or produce a thicker slime coat(clowns, mandarin), or bury in the sand. The qualities of the surviving fish makes it seem likely that it is an external parasite.

External parasites that kill this quickly include marine velvet and brooklynella. As long as fish are present they can reside in a tank, and in some cases go unnoticed. Once a big enough stressor comes along fish are in a position to be vulnerable to these existing parasites. Even if all the fish go through qt, if a coral or invert is introduced w/o qt the fish are now vulnerable. Even cross contamination between tanks can introduce pathogens.

Rancid food can be such a contaminant. If it has been refrozen, it can easily go unnoticed, even if quickly poured in the next day, it may not be noticed how rank it has become.

The food itself is not the source of the pathogen, but rather the trigger that makes the fish vulnerable.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, there is something that was added to the tank, either knowingly or unknowingly.

If now livestock have been added recently, no power outages, it is something that affects fish more than corals, the fish that survied are super hardy(damsel), or produce a thicker slime coat(clowns, mandarin), or bury in the sand. The qualities of the surviving fish makes it seem likely that it is an external parasite.

External parasites that kill this quickly include marine velvet and brooklynella. As long as fish are present they can reside in a tank, and in some cases go unnoticed. Once a big enough stressor comes along fish are in a position to be vulnerable to these existing parasites. Even if all the fish go through qt, if a coral or invert is introduced w/o qt the fish are now vulnerable. Even cross contamination between tanks can introduce pathogens.

Rancid food can be such a contaminant. If it has been refrozen, it can easily go unnoticed, even if quickly poured in the next day, it may not be noticed how rank it has become.

The food itself is not the source of the pathogen, but rather the trigger that makes the fish vulnerable.

Ok now to the proof? My tank is garage I leave food out at least once a month they seem to enjoy just as much warm as they do cold.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back