Half my fish died

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd that it was all tangs, and I'm stumped big time. You didn't mess with the sand, no toxin was introduced as everything else is fine, fish are quarintined, and no power outage. Best of luck and I hope you get this figured out.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound odd....but what kinf of anenones do you have? Any large carpets?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sorry for your loss. it's difficult to lose fish that you have had for several years. They become a part of the family. As for your family - for the adults you'll just have to do your best to figure out what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. For the kids- it may be a good time to explain the circle of life to them. You can even have a "service" for the fish before flushing them. Let the kids say something nice about their fishy friends before saying good bye. It sounds nice anyway.

For the tank.... It seems to me there is a contaminant that got into the water (maybe something that dissipated quickly but not quick enough for the sensitive tangs) or maybe oxygen dropped in the water for some reason.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this as well. I agree with Meredith...sounds like some type of contamination introduced. Was someone in the house that may have been cleaning something at or around the tank? It's just strange in an otherwise seemingly healthy system.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing happened while I was gone. No one was home so I don't think about contamination but won't it kill corals too.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only disease that acts that fast is velvet did you add anything else lately. It takes out tangs fast.

bkostuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any carbon? As the posts above said, contamination could have been introduced as some point and killed your fish, and if you're running carbon it might have stripped majority out before affecting the other livestock. That's my only thoughts, sorry for the loss, keep your head up.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @melypr1985 it in not Enviromental, the dye off was caused by a external source. This is why I was asking, what is your external heat source for the house? If it is natural gas, maybe there is a leak or the stack it not venting from your heat source. With the cold snap the heat may have kicked in a with a leak it may have caused a spike in Co2 and that may have be the source of the dye off.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running carbon and I heat my tank with those electric heaters made for aquariums. I added nothing to the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I'm understanding correctly: 4 tangs died but all your other fish are still alive (and presumably looking fine)? Tangs differ in two ways from most other fish - they require higher oxygen levels and are more susceptible to disease.

I know you said the last fish added was more than a month ago ... But what about a coral? Invert? Chaeto? Anything wet which could have cross contaminated your tank with a fish disease like velvet?

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wet my coral buety angel, six line wrasse , 2 chromis , 1 damsel and all my tangs died. Not just my tangs but many others

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wet my coral buety angel, six line wrasse , 2 chromis , 1 damsel and all my tangs died. Not just my tangs but many others

List the fish that survived.

1fishjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned hanging nori in the tank that was untouched. Is it possible the nori got contaminated some how? Think about where you store it, is it sealed tightly, could it have absorbed some chemical?

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got nori from a Asian market it was roasted. I do not belive it got contaminated it is sealed in a bag with other fish food. And I feed this to another tank and they ate healthy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back