Halides during the winter, LED's during summer

thresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am considering switching between the two as the season change. During the summer, LED's to keep the tank cool/ electric savings during the summer months and Halides during the winter as I've seen better growth with Halides. So would this routine be a stressor for the corals?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am considering switching between the two as the season change. During the summer, LED's to keep the tank cool/ electric savings during the summer months and Halides during the winter as I've seen better growth with Halides. So would this routine be a stressor for the corals?
Yes it would be horrible stress for any corals to have to be reaclimated from one to the other every 6 months or so

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One will grow better then the other and every time you switch to the Inferior one corals will suffer

OP
OP
T

thresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running LED's currently, sounds as though I'll stick with the LED's. I have a pair of halides collecting dust from prior years. Just thought I'd put them to use.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Running LED's currently, sounds as though I'll stick with the LED's. I have a pair of halides collecting dust from prior years. Just thought I'd put them to use.
can't use both? i understand this wont contribute to the energy bill but it would put them to use. unless you consider selling the one you do not use and use the $$ for something else.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, why not use the halides for your peak hours 4-6hrs a day, then led for sunrise/sunset? It's basically what I'm going to do. Have fans on when the halides come on, both across the surface of the tank and in the sump. You may use more RO because of evaporation, but it will keep things cooler.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every major change you make like that will cause your corals stress. I don't see a value in doing that since it will cost more $$$ each month for the halides in electricity along with the acclimation stress of going from one light to the other.

I would just stick with one lighting system.

OP
OP
T

thresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of running the Halides for a limited amount of time is interesting. I may look into designing the hanging light system to mount both LED's and Halides.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much stress switching back and forth by the seasons. Use the MH for 3-4 peak hours a day. Maybe even before it heats up for the day. Heat addition will be minimal that way. Corals will be adapted to a little high intensity light every day and not have the sudden complete disappearance of UV and IR

Back