Hammer coral falling off skeleton

NanoReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200809_170805.jpg
20200808_002515.jpg

It looks completely healthy otherwise, great polyp extension during the day.
Is this a problem?? Should I do anything?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had an elegance coral completely detach from it's skeleton. It looked super happy for days until it got sucked into a powerhead. I'd love to tell you it grew a new skeleton but alas I will never know. What I can tell you if it comes completely off make sure it can't get inhaled by a pump or your overflow and maybe you can answer the new skeleton question. :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry about this,

Did this happen fairly quickly, almost overnight? Could you post your water parameters, the type of flow it is in and lighting. Any discharge or brown jelly noticed? It looks fairly sudden since the skeleton looks pretty white.

It is a wall? How long have you had it and have you dipped it? Sorry for all the questions, it can help diagnose and draw up a plan.

OP
OP
NanoReefer123

NanoReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium:380
Alkalintiy:8
Ph:8.0
Nitrate:20
phosphate:0.03
Salinity:1.025
Temp:80

The tank is a Nuvo 10 with a return pump rated for 150gph, an aquaknight a029 running 20% white and 80% blue for 8 hours. I noticed it was stretching off a bit a few days ago, but it has gotten more severe relatively quickly. I got it in early to mid June, and dipped with MediCoral. I noticed discharge from the mouth once about a week or two after I got it, but never again. I'm not sure if it is a wall or not. If it is relevant, I had a power outage a few days before it happened, and through the course of the outage ran only the return 15 mins an hour for the two days power was out. Also, I have a 1 gallon cube that I was going to start a pico with, but isn't really set up. Would it be wise to move the hammer there temporarily?

20200809_201354.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking if it was a wall, if it was a branching I would have you snip off the head. Usually once you have quick bail out like that with fragging off the affected the dead skeleton would be the only way I have found to stop the progression.

I would try to dip again and move int a different area of medium flow and a bit stronger light to see if it helps.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%

Back