Hammer coral losing tips?

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ppl,
I put a pyramid butterfly in my tank couple of months ago. The seller told me it’s reef safe, and he had it in his hammer/ torch tank.
I feed it 3 times a day, and tbh, I don’t see it’s nipping any of my corals.
About 3-4, weeks ago, I started to notice my green tip hammer start to losing some of its green tips, I can see once a while there are 1-2 shiny green tissues floating in the tank. And the butterfly did eat them.
Today I just noticed the green hammer had a lot of tinny green tips, as shown in the photo.
B8FCFC79-0835-43BB-830F-0F19AC8B4349.jpeg

It still opens up, but just looked a bit strange.

furthermore, I saw a yellow tissue floating in the tank today, my tangs caught it in the mouths, but spit it out right away, at last was the butterfly who ate it again. I did notice there is a spot in the yellow hammer looked like missing the tip. But the hammer dosent look like stressed at all. And I try to observe the butterfly for like 20-30 min, I dont see it shows any interests in corals at all. If the butterfly is not reason, whatelse can it be that hammer tips keep losing. I saw about 3 times within 2 months....
3FC9F4CA-8070-4853-9FAA-5AEFB49C1801.jpeg
3FC9F4CA-8070-4853-9FAA-5AEFB49C1801.jpeg

OP
OP
E

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the butterfly needs a timeout.
I really hope its not the butterfly, I dont see it going after the corals.....
however I did see one day my foxface nipped my ducan coral..... it hits the blue tips of my ducan 3, 4 times.... and the tips were gone and left a whit spot on the head....
anyway, its just so difficult to get the fish out when there are rocaks in the tank......

OP
OP
E

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, now I can confirm it was my fox face who was nipping the corals. I had it for over a year, growing big and nice. Never had any issue with my corals. So it starts to nip on corals maybe 2,3 months ago. The funny part is it’s only nipping the corals and tearing the tissue apart, then just let the tissues floating around in the tank without eating them. The newly joined butterfly will then chasing the tissues down and eat them. So I have to take all my live rocks out to get the fox face and the butterfly, plus one more rabbit fish, made a relandscaping as well.... a lot of hours spent yesterday to solve the issue

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see You already got him out ....I wanted to say something in that matter.... I have a 220G tank and Ive had issues with fish here and there .....i have 2 big glass brackets what makes it even harder to go from one side to the other.... I build myself a egg crate

Aquarium Divider Filter Tray Egg Crate

divider what i can now slide in the tank with no problems my fish naturally will all go to one side I put that divider between my rocks / reef from back to front and basically cut off the fish from swimming back and forth ..... that works for all my big fish beautifully and less stress as well Because less chasing and much faster. I hated how Ive had to dismantle my reef so many times before for one fish. Never been a friend of Traps ..simply to impatient. Not that this matters to you now but I figured I share anyway ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back