Hammer not extending anymore

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a hammer that used to look really good, but started "shrinking" and not extending over the past couple months.

Parameters from March are almost identical than yesterdays:
Temp 78.3Salinity 1.025Nitrate 10PH 8.3ALK 9.5Phosphate 0.02Calcium 460Magnesium 1320

Posting pictures and video below. The frogspawn that was right next to it is doing very well, growing. I moved the hammer to the sandbed after I took him out and dipped in coral rx while I was dipping other corals. It did have a vermetid snail growing on its base which I removed. One of the new corals I just got was the torch on the video below which seems to be doing well.

Anyway, is there anything else I can try? I tried moving it down, changing the position it is at for different flow, dipped in coral rx, nothing has helped so far.

Thanks in advance!!!

March:
March.jpg

Today:

Today.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water parameters look really good - along with your flow. It's entirely possible it wasn't happy with the light, snail or some combination thereof. Since you have other euphyllia that are also doing really well on the sandbed, I'd be inclined to leave it where it is and just monitor over the next few days to see if it improves. You could also (temporarily) dial back the flow just a bit to see if that helps.

OP
OP
Z

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shirak, thanks for the reply. If it is indeed starving, would it benefit from some target feeding? If so, any suggestions on what to feed it?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally off the topic , but what sand are you using ?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shirak, thanks for the reply. If it is indeed starving, would it benefit from some target feeding? If so, any suggestions on what to feed it?
I feed target feed mine. They are in a fishless tank so all the corals get fed. I find the hammers and frogspawn are slow eaters so flow pumps get turned off or down considerably for about 30 minutes. I use a variety of things from LPS pellets to small (1mm or less) fish food pellets. I also use frozen mysis that I chop up while still frozen and occasionally things like oyster feast or broadcast reef chili/benepets reef food. I usually feed a few times a week, mostly at night after lights out for an hour or two. Sometimes during the day.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back