Hammer retraction

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Have a few hammers that have suddenly retracted and don’t look healthy and I’m concerned about BJD. Should I pull and dip in some lugols? I also have some Coral rx. Looking for options.

56AC0648-DAFB-4C54-9A6D-9CCE20E1DF81.jpeg 5FC91C28-420A-48E4-9D0C-50107967F395.jpeg 99BF58CB-D0E3-47A5-972F-812C28C2FFD8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to tell what you have under red lights.
likely a lightning issue as reds do not provide what they need for production of zooxanthellae which provides its growth and coloration
If BJD, siphon off with a 3/8” tube to start with

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything in the pictures that looks like bjd. Unless they are in high flow bjd becomes petty obvious as it will pretty much cover the flesh in a nasty snotlike brown "jelly".

Have you inspected for pests. Polyclad flatworms for example?

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell what you have under red lights.
likely a lightning issue as reds do not provide what they need for production of zooxanthellae which provides its growth and coloration
If BJD, siphon off with a 3/8” tube to start with
Lights aren’t red, was under blues but had a filter on the camera and then the overhead room lights on. Surprised it came out that way. Grab some more pics shortly, they should be on soon

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything in the pictures that looks like bjd. Unless they are in high flow bjd becomes petty obvious as it will pretty much cover the flesh in a nasty snotlike brown "jelly".

Have you inspected for pests. Polyclad flatworms for example?
I have a LOT of amphipods in the tank. I don’t see any other pests, but doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics under white lights...

Need a closer shot if you can. I tried to zoom in and everything is blurry. Can't really see because of the distance to the subject and the blue.
78C865F2-3F03-43F0-8C97-28F00ABCBC1C.jpeg
DFF0192F-6197-44E5-B348-0692CF393049.jpeg
D84ED96E-71A4-4AA2-B510-11ABFE31E3CF.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 2 pics are from dipping in a single drop of lugols. Last is fresh salt water

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF2D9A76-9865-4517-BAD2-AAE63205D983.jpeg

Pulled another hammer and that appears to be flatworms

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any flatworms. Pictures are pretty dark. The one with the two hammers. The top one looks pretty much gone but you never know. As long as there isn't any brown goopy slime down in the ribs of the skeleton. Does it smell like rotten flesh? If so toss it.

The second one still has a fair amount of tissue around the polyp but it looks like it is receded to the top of the skeleton when it should be down around the outside around the top.

I would be looking at water parameters Alk, Ca, Mg and nutrients. Might help to know what kind of light and intensity they are getting.

The other corals seem happy. How long have you had these few that are doing poorly? Have you had them a while and they are declining slowly or are they new acquisitions that went downhill fast?

OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any flatworms. Pictures are pretty dark. The one with the two hammers. The top one looks pretty much gone but you never know. As long as there isn't any brown goopy slime down in the ribs of the skeleton. Does it smell like rotten flesh? If so toss it.

The second one still has a fair amount of tissue around the polyp but it looks like it is receded to the top of the skeleton when it should be down around the outside around the top.

I would be looking at water parameters Alk, Ca, Mg and nutrients. Might help to know what kind of light and intensity they are getting.

The other corals seem happy. How long have you had these few that are doing poorly? Have you had them a while and they are declining slowly or are they new acquisitions that went downhill fast?
I’ve had them a few months and the downfall has been quick. I did see something in the dip that looked flat and was wiggling. I’ve increased my flow a bit as well.

only thing I’ve changed is lighting profile. I’ve moved over to top shelf aquatics sps profile but it’s slowly ramping up.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some amphipods there. Flatworms wouldn’t be wiggling.

Do you have any other info on water parameters and nutrient levels such as nitrate and phosphate? Sometimes they look fine for a couple months but they are slowly declining in health until they hit a tipping point and seems like they die in a few days. The one that looks healthiest is lacking tissue around the outside of the skeleton. That sort of thing usually doesn’t happen overnight.

The other hammers in the tank, can you see a couple centimeters of healthy tissue around the outside top of the skeleton?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing I’ve changed is lighting profile. I’ve moved over to top shelf aquatics sps profile but it’s slowly ramping up.
Care to elaborate? Light fixture? Distance to the water? Distance to the corals? Power level? I have no clue what the tsa sos profile is but guessing it’s higher intensity. Why are you switching to that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back