Hammerhead and candy cane

Jaypr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.. getting back into the hobby and I purchase a couple small frags of candy cane and hammerhead.

They have long stems and I'm wondering how to put them in my tank? Do I just place them some openings on some rock or am I supposed to glue them down on rock? Right now I've just placed them in some rock that have hole opening but not sure if that right?

Just looking for some advice.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just place them in the rock if your sure the frags gonna be able to hold and not wobble or tip over.
I always go straight to gluing my frags ( personal preference ) back when I was starting I would try to just stick the stem in a crevice but with lps corals I’ve learned that one good fall could potentially kill the frag. Especially if it’s just one head on the hammer. I’ve learned over the years that with single headed lps ( hammer / torch ) if they get damaged theirs a good chance that it may not pull through.
If it was me I would probably go for the glue and place the hammer in a low/ mild flow area in the lower / middle section of the tank. That always seems to be a good starting point. Even tho it’s glued you can always move the frag if you have to. Some ppl place them up top but they seem to like lower / med light from my experience.
How ever you feel comfortable doing it tho is cool that’s just my take on it. Congrats on the new frags! Happy reefing I hope they thrive for ya!!

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just stick the base in your sand bed that’s always a good option as well! I meant to include that ✌️✌️

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would glue them down, way more stable that way. As long as they don’t encrust onto the rock (which neither hammers not candycanes will) they are still easy to move so long as you’re just using superglue gel, they can be unstuck very easily.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back