Handling fish with your bare hands?

Isaac Swanagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m having a debate with my coworkers at a fish store. What is the preferred method of transferring fish? Your bare wet hands or a net? Is difference on the impact of the slime coat for these different methods large?
Please give me your opinion and the more sources the better. Thank you

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean you're going to have to move them somehow. bare, wet hands don't snag gills or fins but this is only really possible to do by reducing the water to a level the fish can't effectively swim in, so different methods for different situations.
regardless, if i'm taking home a new fish i do neither. i acclimate then pinch the end of the bag and empty all of the water into a pail leaving only the fish in the bag to be dumped in.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m having a debate with my coworkers at a fish store. What is the preferred method of transferring fish? Your bare wet hands or a net? Is difference on the impact of the slime coat for these different methods large?
Please give me your opinion and the more sources the better. Thank you
I use my hands when possible. I think it may be a bit less abrasive than a net (I like to squirt a bit of Novaqua on my hands first, though), and I've had to extricate too many fish from a tangled net in the past. When I acclimate a fish and it is ready to go in the tank, I pour most of the bag water into a bucket, then gently pour the remaining water, along with the fish, into my hand, then just slip the fish into the water. I find this works more effectively if I pour the water from the side of the bag, rather than along the seam. Many years ago I worked at a tropical fish wholesaler, and bare hands was the preferred method when practicable.

OP
OP
Isaac Swanagan

Isaac Swanagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I really want to know is handling fish in a quick transfer more harmful then a net?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I really want to know is handling fish in a quick transfer more harmful then a net?

I have always heard hands are best. I can say I would agree because I have got fins caught that were nearly impossible to get out of a net. The fish was so in shock we almost lost it. I use anything but a net if I can.
Traps or if I can get them in a cup I will.
Net are easier that is about it.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t move some* fish by hand like a fox face or something else with venom or spikes.

but other then for those reasons, personally I think bare hand is better- I have had many fish get stuck in nets which seems to be more stressful.

but honestly both should be fine in my experience.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like bare hands. Like others have said, there’s a lot of potential for bits and pieces to get stuck in the net and that’s not great. If I’m catching a fish out of the tank I’ll use a net but if it’s going from a bag to the tank I prefer hands. It’s mostly just because I can’t get the net to sit flush against a round wall (my acclimation bucket) so it’s kind of pointless to even try, especially with small fish :)

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic kitty litter scooper. Works like a charm and better than a net when acclimating and dipping. Picked up a few for $0.89 each on Amazon. Link

1620840621776.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question-(more specific)

From bag to tank a single fish/bag I use my hands (prewetted with tank water). It makes me engage directly with the fish and I make certain it is calm as I lift it out and introduce it in to the “safe” new home. I believe this is key to reducing fish transfer mortality. I’m careful to let the fish know I’m not going to eat it or abuse it in the aquarium.

In moving fish from one tank to another I use a net if I can’t easily or safely catch the fish with my hands. (They usually don’t like nets or hands at first.)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the fish can’t run in your hands unless it’s like a eel
I would not use my digits with an eel. I have seen them latch on and bite to the bone thinking the grabbing hand was dinner. The eel can fly along way afterwards too.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, and in terms of possible stress and trauma, hands are better. The only drawback is that it may be easier for a panicked fish to leap from your hands than out of a net.
I scoop the fish with one hand and place my other hand on top of it to prevent this :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not how I do it:
1620849671327.png
l

Last edited:

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands are great until one flops on the floor. Net>floor for me. Guessing wet net is slightly less stressful than dry floor and a few foot drop. Pinching bag and emptying water out first is a solid choice too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back