Hanging ATI fixture

mknightryder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep from having a bunch of holes in your sheetrock, you could simply make a Plumb Bob out of some string and a heavy bolt, screw, or a nail... Theres a few videos on YouTube on how to use one.
Put the fixture over your tank where you want it as far as front back/ side to side goes. To make it easier, Cut you a cpl 1x's to lay across the tank (front to back) to let the light fixture sit on so you aren't trying to hold it while measuring. Since the Ati kit has two cables you'll need to find the center between the two end holes and that'll be the spot you want to plumb up from. If your lucky you'll hit a ceiling joist. If not then toggle bolt it is... lol, Unless you can get above the tank in the attic and add blocking in between the joists.
When I hung my floating canopy I cut sheetrock out of my ceiling and put blocking in between my joists so my eye bolts would get into some meat. My house is 2 story, but there's a room over my tanks so I couldn't add blocking from the top down... My canopy is way more heavier than an Ati fixture and I wanted to be able to park a small car on top of it... lol Good luck with it. Remember calculate & measure two 3 four times before drilling!

20180803_204914.jpg

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is too far from the wall to use shelf mounts. I have a drop ceiling as well. Probably going to try to make some sort of aluminum bracket to put on top of my tank and hand my 6x80W from that. Only question is whether the light will make a 60” horizontal piece bow over time.

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made mounting brackets for my 8 bulb fixture that is bolted to the back of my stand. It's made out of 3/4 conduit I got from work since I wasn't allowed to drill Into my ceiling.

20180729_194548.jpg
That’s sweet looking, so you have any more pictures of the back?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep from having a bunch of holes in your sheetrock, you could simply make a Plumb Bob out of some string and a heavy bolt, screw, or a nail... Theres a few videos on YouTube on how to use one.
Put the fixture over your tank where you want it as far as front back/ side to side goes. To make it easier, Cut you a cpl 1x's to lay across the tank (front to back) to let the light fixture sit on so you aren't trying to hold it while measuring. Since the Ati kit has two cables you'll need to find the center between the two end holes and that'll be the spot you want to plumb up from. If your lucky you'll hit a ceiling joist. If not then toggle bolt it is... lol, Unless you can get above the tank in the attic and add blocking in between the joists.
When I hung my floating canopy I cut sheetrock out of my ceiling and put blocking in between my joists so my eye bolts would get into some meat. My house is 2 story, but there's a room over my tanks so I couldn't add blocking from the top down... My canopy is way more heavier than an Ati fixture and I wanted to be able to park a small car on top of it... lol Good luck with it. Remember calculate & measure two 3 four times before drilling!

20180803_204914.jpg
Thanks for all the info! I’ll try plumbing it. The ceiling has a flat roof so there’s nothing I can do from above. And yes I’ll measure over and over again!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed the ceiling and hung it perfectly. Thanks to everyone for your awesome help!!
E16027F0-A5CB-4710-BBD9-546C354281C3.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back