Hanna Checkers Shake Time

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not holding the button in after C2 to start the timer?
I always thought it was silly that the default quick press action for the button on the Hanna checkers with timer isn't to just start the timer. (Then they could have HOLD = skip the timer when desired).
...like everyone else, I just live with it,,, but seems silly to me

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always thought it was silly that the default quick press action for the button on the Hanna checkers with timer isn't to just start the timer. (Then they could have HOLD = skip the timer when desired).
...like everyone else, I just live with it,,, but seems silly to me
I'm happy that it's optional, but it should be the default press. You should have to hold it in for an immediate test. I can't tell you how many times I've held it in too long to power it down. That's one use case where it's necessary to have an immediate test.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy that it's optional, but it should be the default press. You should have to hold it in for an immediate test. I can't tell you how many times I've held it in too long to power it down. That's one use case where it's necessary to have an immediate test.
I've never accidentally done that, but I could see how it would be annoying. I love the Hanna Checkers, I just wish they were all as easy as the ALK checker. In regards to the foil packets, the NO3 is pretty good, the PO4 tends to always have powder in the cut line, even after tapping and flicking it.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use an auto aqua smart stir. Just dump the magnetic stirrer into a towel when done, to retrieve the little tic tac.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought I was going to find a group of people shaking their hanna vials together. Highly disappointed.

I've always followed directions but have wondered how different shake times/intensities would affect test results, interesting thread, thanks!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...While we are at it, let's discuss a proper testing protocol...
Some additional information on that in this article.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never accidentally done that, but I could see how it would be annoying. I love the Hanna Checkers, I just wish they were all as easy as the ALK checker. In regards to the foil packets, the NO3 is pretty good, the PO4 tends to always have powder in the cut line, even after tapping and flicking it.
Yea I can never get all of the reagent out of the packet. I'd hope that Hanna took this into account and adds a little extra. I'm not sure what's worse... a little tiny "level scoop" or a packet.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use an auto aqua smart stir. Just dump the magnetic stirrer into a towel when done, to retrieve the little tic tac.
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar. This is an excellent idea! I think garf was the one that posted about the Vortex Genie a few months ago. There's one available for $10 right now. It would be sweet to have a digital one where you set the time and frequency of the shake. Talk about consistency! We aren't making rocket fuel for Elon here though...

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some additional information on that in this article.
This bad boy needs stickied right here!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this recently:

Need to design and 3D print a compatible test tube holder for it...

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar...
You can also hold another magnet to the bottom of the vile so the bar doesn't fall out when emptying and rinsing out. I just use a small disc magnet (the kind you can get in any hardware store) in a small plastic bag (so it doesn't get wet and rust). I use a stirrer with my non-Hanna tests.

I also make sure to put the strainer into my slop sink drain, just in case the bar does happen to fall out of the vial. I suppose I could just dump the bar into the strainer if I wanted to.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar. This is an excellent idea! I think garf was the one that posted about the Vortex Genie a few months ago. There's one available for $10 right now. It would be sweet to have a digital one where you set the time and frequency of the shake. Talk about consistency! We aren't making rocket fuel for Elon here though...
I think folks tend to overcomplicate things a lot.

Just follow the instructions in the box (RTFM).

I did some tests recently with the ULR phosphate kit, and it made no difference whether you started with a 9ml, 10ml or 11ml sample, so worrying about the exact amount of water in the cuvette has been proven pointless, just fill to somewhere near the line. The tests are documented in another thread.

Other tests, I found that whether you fight to get every last grain of reagent out, or only use about half of it made no difference to the reading.

The kits are designed for hobbiests, so Hanna have built them to work with significant variations of every variable.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think folks tend to overcomplicate things a lot.

Just follow the instructions in the box (RTFM).

I did some tests recently with the ULR phosphate kit, and it made no difference whether you started with a 9ml, 10ml or 11ml sample, so worrying about the exact amount of water in the cuvette has been proven pointless, just fill to somewhere near the line. The tests are documented in another thread.

Other tests, I found that whether you fight to get every last grain of reagent out, or only use about half of it made no difference to the reading.

The kits are designed for hobbiests, so Hanna have built them to work with significant variations of every variable.
You can get away with being sloppy until you graduate to Calcium. Reviews were horrendous when it first came out. No one was testing properly. That's when we all learned about the meniscus, glass imperfections and fingerprints on the vial. I also think those first rounds of batches didn't come with a proper .1ml pipette.

Something new that I recently learned was alk reagent needs to be refrigerated. An instrument is only as capable as its operator!

Something else I learned yesterday is don't drop them with a sample inside. Those quartz vials shatter easily. The liquid hosed my Ca control board. I'm out $66.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I learned yesterday is don't drop them with a sample inside. Those quartz vials shatter easily. The liquid hosed my Ca control board. I'm out $66.
Ouch!
On the meniscus thing, I always just use a 10 mL graduated syringe for filling the vials and the bottom of the meniscus always matched my Hanna vial lines so I never even look any more.
*some have posted mis-marked 10mL line on Hanna vials but I never actually had that problem, just seems easier to always use a trusted (within reason) measuring device

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ouch!
On the meniscus thing, I always just use a 10 mL graduated syringe for filling the vials and the bottom of the meniscus always matched my Hanna vial lines so I never even look any more.
*some have posted mis-marked 10mL line on Hanna vials but I never actually had that problem, just seems easier to always use a trusted (within reason) measuring device
Nice. Someone earlier recommended a 10ml pipette so I added to my cart. This would really speed up my workload. I absolutely love the scientific aspects of reefkeeping, but my current workflow to test 2 tanks is an hour. There might be times when I don't have an hour to give so I want to make it easy as possible so that I don't put it off and possibly start to test more often. I really despise shaking the vials for 2min as well which was the whole purpose of this thread. Its lead to a fantastic discussion and i've learned quite a bit.
Screenshot_20240304_215139_Amazon Shopping.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Someone earlier recommended a 10ml pipette so I added to my cart. This would really speed up my workload. I absolutely love the scientific aspects of reefkeeping, but my current workflow to test 2 tanks is an hour. There might be times when I don't have an hour to give so I want to make it easy as possible so that I don't put it off and possibly start to test more often. I really despise shaking the vials for 2min as well which was the whole purpose of this thread. Its lead to a fantastic discussion and i've learned quite a bit.
Screenshot_20240304_215139_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Goin' more up-scale than I do...

I just buy cheapies and don't use any tips -- they last a long time then I chuck 'em when they start to feel too firm from wear
*probably not what you'd consider lab grade but they looked (visually) same against 10 mL line on same Hanna vial when I've compared different ones periodically

Something like this, and I just keep one in each of my Hanna checker cases although I normally use the same syringe for all tests when I'm doing multiple parameters:

10 mL Liquid Measuring Syringes

*plus I use them for other DIY dosing stuff so nice (to me) to just have multiples

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back