Hanna Checkers Shake Time

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna Checkers state to shake Phosphate and Nitrate chemicals for 2 minutes. I picked up a vortex for $30 on ebay. I lay the vile on its side, crank that bad boy up to 8, and the chemicals are turned into solution in about 10 seconds. Do I really need to blast these things for 2 minutes? If so, why?

If anyone else uses one of these, I suggest laying the vials on their side. It took me about 3 months to figure that out. At first, I held them straight up. Next, I tilted them and noticed a vortex forming. I accidently laid one on its side the other day and it just made a giant vortex.... sweet!

20240302_211118.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shake the NO3 vial vigorously by hand for 2 minutes.

Gently invert the PO4 vial back and fourth for 2 minutes.

Once the timer runs up, insert into the vial and hold the button to start the Hanna checker timer.

You need to find a way to reduce the shaking intensity in that machine. NO3 needs time in the shaking process to develop the color.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the 2 mins is so that it is thoroughly mixed but also adds to the "time to develop" as the timer is 7 mins for nitrate and 3 for phosphate. I think the 2 mins of shaking adds to that total time to get the most accurate reading. Just my assumption.
That's my belief too. "Time to develop"

7 min. Total in water for po4 ulr and 9min for no3 hr

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently invert the PO4 vial back and fourth for 2 minutes.
Interesting -- I still shake but gently(ish) for Phosphate ULR.
*I always got a chuckle out of the shake "vigorously" for 2 minutes vs shake "gently" for 2 minutes (Nitrate vs Phosphate),,, but I try to do what I think I understand the directions for each to mean anyway

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeesh, overachiever. I shake it til my arm is tired. No wonder my corals look sad.
As long as your nutrients are detectable, most corals won’t feel sad from having nutrients.

I doubt differences in shaking tempo will cause a significant change in results. I just follow the rules because it’s easy to follow and not worth opposing Hanna’s instructions without having evidence that it works by doing it a different way.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Do you have any idea why Hanna suggests gently inverting the PO4 vial instead of vigorously shaking it? They suggest vigorously shaking the NO3 vial.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose I could do a test. Before the vortex, I would set a timer. I even shake for 2min with the vortex. If it's all about development time, I'll just use one vial with tank water, shake for 30sec on the vortex, and use a timer at 5min and 9min respectively.

I am hoping that Randy chimes in. I just got 2 boxes of each so I could do some testing. I assume Randy can weigh in and prevent me from wasting my time.

The Vortex has many settings. I set it on low for titration and its perfect. For $30, I think everyone in this conversation needs one. It's way better than manually shaking. It is a little loud. I'd like to have someone 3d Print a custom holder for these vials.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as your nutrients are detectable, most corals won’t feel sad from having nutrients.

I doubt differences in shaking tempo will cause a significant change in results. I just follow the rules because it’s easy to follow and not worth opposing Hanna’s instructions without having evidence that it works by doing it a different way.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Do you have any idea why Hanna suggests gently inverting the PO4 vial instead of vigorously shaking it? They suggest vigorously shaking the NO3 vial.
Gently inverting is for liquid additions according to all of my instructions such as Alk, reagent A for Silicates, and reagent A for Ca. All powder additions state vigorous on my instruction cards.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and intensity I feel has a lot to do with the reagent used and it abilities to break down into a mixture/solution. I think the No3 is more difficult and by shaking vigorously you create micro bubbles that have to settle out during the 7 minute development time. I use magnetic stirrer for both. I have tested gently hand shaking and the stirrer and both fall within the .02 margin of error for Po4
The truth of the matter is, the most important factor in our home test kits is consistency. That way you can follow trends not numbers.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time and intensity I feel has a lot to do with the reagent used and it abilities to break down into a mixture/solution. I think the No3 is more difficult and by shaking vigorously you create micro bubbles that have to settle out during the 7 minute development time. I use magnetic stirrer for both. I have tested gently hand shaking and the stirrer and both fall within the .02 margin of error for Po4
The truth of the matter is, the most important factor in our home test kits is consistency. That way you can follow trends not numbers.
Amen to consistency. I asked the question because I want to know the easiest way to get a usable reading and then stick to it. It took me an hour to test my two tanks yesterday. Thats insane! If it was quicker, id be more inclined to test more often. I go as far as using a glass rack with colored holders so that I use the same vials everytime.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I try to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer as close as possible.
I agree but there is a lot of variables at play. I'm 6'2 and can bench 315. My vigerous shake is night and day to a 80 year old 75# blue hair's vigerous shake. This is why I am asking the experts. I assume that 2min of vigerous shake is enough time to get the chemicals in solution for a 80yo Blue hair. My Vortex can get them in solution in 10 seconds.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently inverting is for liquid additions according to all of my instructions such as Alk, reagent A for Silicates, and reagent A for Ca. All powder additions state vigorous on my instruction cards.

Following. I've wondered the same - does it matter?

My kit didn't come with instructions, so I downloaded mine off of Hanna's site. Based on instructions I gently rock my Phosphate for two minutes and go crazy with the Nitrate for two minutes but I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

Phosphate ULR: Add the content of one packet of HI774-0Marine Phosphate ULR Reagent. Replace the plastic stopper and the cap. Shake gently (for about 2 minutes) until the powder is completely dissolved.

Nitrate HR: Add the content of one packet of HI782-0 Marine Nitrate HR Reagent. Replace the plastic stopper and the cap. Shake vigorously for 2 minutes

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Replace the plastic stopper and the cap...
Plastic stopper? What the heck is that?
Other than that, I follow the same directions as you posted (or at least how I think I understand them).

P.S. I feel like I get very consistent/repeatable results with the Hanna checkers that I use so I'm very satisfied with them for my needs.
*and I'm color-blind so that makes me even more thankful for what they do

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic stopper? What the heck is that?
Other than that, I follow the same directions as you posted (or at least how I think I understand them).

P.S. I feel like I get very consistent/repeatable results with the Hanna checkers that I use so I'm very satisfied with them for my needs.
*and I'm color-blind so that makes me even more thankful for what they do
I use the master kit. It has a different vial but otherwise is the identical.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back