Hanna Checkers Shake Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikeltee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Are you not holding the button in after C2 to start the timer?
I always thought it was silly that the default quick press action for the button on the Hanna checkers with timer isn't to just start the timer. (Then they could have HOLD = skip the timer when desired).
...like everyone else, I just live with it,,, but seems silly to me
 
I always thought it was silly that the default quick press action for the button on the Hanna checkers with timer isn't to just start the timer. (Then they could have HOLD = skip the timer when desired).
...like everyone else, I just live with it,,, but seems silly to me
I'm happy that it's optional, but it should be the default press. You should have to hold it in for an immediate test. I can't tell you how many times I've held it in too long to power it down. That's one use case where it's necessary to have an immediate test.
 
I'm happy that it's optional, but it should be the default press. You should have to hold it in for an immediate test. I can't tell you how many times I've held it in too long to power it down. That's one use case where it's necessary to have an immediate test.
I've never accidentally done that, but I could see how it would be annoying. I love the Hanna Checkers, I just wish they were all as easy as the ALK checker. In regards to the foil packets, the NO3 is pretty good, the PO4 tends to always have powder in the cut line, even after tapping and flicking it.
 
I really thought I was going to find a group of people shaking their hanna vials together. Highly disappointed.

I've always followed directions but have wondered how different shake times/intensities would affect test results, interesting thread, thanks!
 
I've never accidentally done that, but I could see how it would be annoying. I love the Hanna Checkers, I just wish they were all as easy as the ALK checker. In regards to the foil packets, the NO3 is pretty good, the PO4 tends to always have powder in the cut line, even after tapping and flicking it.
Yea I can never get all of the reagent out of the packet. I'd hope that Hanna took this into account and adds a little extra. I'm not sure what's worse... a little tiny "level scoop" or a packet.
 
I use an auto aqua smart stir. Just dump the magnetic stirrer into a towel when done, to retrieve the little tic tac.
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar. This is an excellent idea! I think garf was the one that posted about the Vortex Genie a few months ago. There's one available for $10 right now. It would be sweet to have a digital one where you set the time and frequency of the shake. Talk about consistency! We aren't making rocket fuel for Elon here though...
 
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar...
You can also hold another magnet to the bottom of the vile so the bar doesn't fall out when emptying and rinsing out. I just use a small disc magnet (the kind you can get in any hardware store) in a small plastic bag (so it doesn't get wet and rust). I use a stirrer with my non-Hanna tests.

I also make sure to put the strainer into my slop sink drain, just in case the bar does happen to fall out of the vial. I suppose I could just dump the bar into the strainer if I wanted to.
 
I originally considered getting one, but then I thought about the hassle of retrieving the stir bar. This is an excellent idea! I think garf was the one that posted about the Vortex Genie a few months ago. There's one available for $10 right now. It would be sweet to have a digital one where you set the time and frequency of the shake. Talk about consistency! We aren't making rocket fuel for Elon here though...
I think folks tend to overcomplicate things a lot.

Just follow the instructions in the box (RTFM).

I did some tests recently with the ULR phosphate kit, and it made no difference whether you started with a 9ml, 10ml or 11ml sample, so worrying about the exact amount of water in the cuvette has been proven pointless, just fill to somewhere near the line. The tests are documented in another thread.

Other tests, I found that whether you fight to get every last grain of reagent out, or only use about half of it made no difference to the reading.

The kits are designed for hobbiests, so Hanna have built them to work with significant variations of every variable.
 
I think folks tend to overcomplicate things a lot.

Just follow the instructions in the box (RTFM).

I did some tests recently with the ULR phosphate kit, and it made no difference whether you started with a 9ml, 10ml or 11ml sample, so worrying about the exact amount of water in the cuvette has been proven pointless, just fill to somewhere near the line. The tests are documented in another thread.

Other tests, I found that whether you fight to get every last grain of reagent out, or only use about half of it made no difference to the reading.

The kits are designed for hobbiests, so Hanna have built them to work with significant variations of every variable.
You can get away with being sloppy until you graduate to Calcium. Reviews were horrendous when it first came out. No one was testing properly. That's when we all learned about the meniscus, glass imperfections and fingerprints on the vial. I also think those first rounds of batches didn't come with a proper .1ml pipette.

Something new that I recently learned was alk reagent needs to be refrigerated. An instrument is only as capable as its operator!

Something else I learned yesterday is don't drop them with a sample inside. Those quartz vials shatter easily. The liquid hosed my Ca control board. I'm out $66.
 
...
Something else I learned yesterday is don't drop them with a sample inside. Those quartz vials shatter easily. The liquid hosed my Ca control board. I'm out $66.
Ouch!
On the meniscus thing, I always just use a 10 mL graduated syringe for filling the vials and the bottom of the meniscus always matched my Hanna vial lines so I never even look any more.
*some have posted mis-marked 10mL line on Hanna vials but I never actually had that problem, just seems easier to always use a trusted (within reason) measuring device
 
Ouch!
On the meniscus thing, I always just use a 10 mL graduated syringe for filling the vials and the bottom of the meniscus always matched my Hanna vial lines so I never even look any more.
*some have posted mis-marked 10mL line on Hanna vials but I never actually had that problem, just seems easier to always use a trusted (within reason) measuring device
Nice. Someone earlier recommended a 10ml pipette so I added to my cart. This would really speed up my workload. I absolutely love the scientific aspects of reefkeeping, but my current workflow to test 2 tanks is an hour. There might be times when I don't have an hour to give so I want to make it easy as possible so that I don't put it off and possibly start to test more often. I really despise shaking the vials for 2min as well which was the whole purpose of this thread. Its lead to a fantastic discussion and i've learned quite a bit.
Screenshot_20240304_215139_Amazon Shopping.jpg
 
Nice. Someone earlier recommended a 10ml pipette so I added to my cart. This would really speed up my workload. I absolutely love the scientific aspects of reefkeeping, but my current workflow to test 2 tanks is an hour. There might be times when I don't have an hour to give so I want to make it easy as possible so that I don't put it off and possibly start to test more often. I really despise shaking the vials for 2min as well which was the whole purpose of this thread. Its lead to a fantastic discussion and i've learned quite a bit.
Screenshot_20240304_215139_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Goin' more up-scale than I do...

I just buy cheapies and don't use any tips -- they last a long time then I chuck 'em when they start to feel too firm from wear
*probably not what you'd consider lab grade but they looked (visually) same against 10 mL line on same Hanna vial when I've compared different ones periodically

Something like this, and I just keep one in each of my Hanna checker cases although I normally use the same syringe for all tests when I'm doing multiple parameters:

10 mL Liquid Measuring Syringes

*plus I use them for other DIY dosing stuff so nice (to me) to just have multiples
 
Shake the NO3 vial vigorously by hand for 2 minutes.

Gently invert the PO4 vial back and fourth for 2 minutes.

Once the timer runs up, insert into the vial and hold the button to start the Hanna checker timer.


You need to find a way to reduce the shaking intensity in that machine. NO3 needs time in the shaking process to develop the color.

So…I was shaking the phosphate vial “gently” not too hard, but I was in the 0.25 to 0.30 range. By inverting it and testing a couple of times I was at 0.07 and 0.10. I like inverting over and over more.
 
So…I was shaking the phosphate vial “gently” not too hard, but I was in the 0.25 to 0.30 range. By inverting it and testing a couple of times I was at 0.07 and 0.10. I like inverting over and over more.
Interesting. I shake mine "gently", as you said, because that's how the directions read to me.
*Alkalinity is the only one that I "invert" (5 times)

Shaking Phosphate ULR is what I've always done,,, and it's always compared well to other tests (the few times I've done comparisons).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new