Hanna cuvettes are off!!

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t believe either one. But make sure you vote because it important to control nitrates In the USA, and drop it off early right in this drop box so your vote counts.
69B7E873-746C-4EB7-83E5-DEB724079B3B.jpeg
I do. I send my ballot to Triton once every three months! It takes a while to get the vote tally, of course.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a syringe to fill because over time the factory line wears off. No need to replace the vial if it isn’t broken. I also place a piece of scotch tape over the printing on the syringe so the printing does not wear off. Easy, accurate, and I don’t spill water when drawing from the tank.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. If they know they are unable to reliably place the 10ml line in the correct place, they should not put the line on the vial.
Then we’d have this same thread with people complaining that’s there no line “when there should be one”
You’ll never make everyone happy. Best not to try.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting, I never used anything but the line on my hanna and Milwaukee instruments....
Gonna check later , wonder if the Milwaukee lab grade po4 tester has same issues....

Can we ingrave proper line on vials, or will that effect the testing process..

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I never used anything but the line on my hanna and Milwaukee instruments....
Gonna check later , wonder if the Milwaukee lab grade po4 tester has same issues....

Can we engrave proper line on vials, or will that effect the testing process..
since its an optical sensor and they tell you to make sure theres no oils from your hand on the vial as that can effect the measurement, id be willing to bet that you etching the glass will also lead to improper readings.

What i do which is just make a mark on the syringe i use to add the test water, and i use the same syringe every time. therefor you have the same amount o liquid every time. super easy.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then we’d have this same thread with people complaining that’s there no line “when there should be one”
You’ll never make everyone happy. Best not to try.
And if you can’t do it right, don’t do it.
Also, many test kits don’t mark the vials, Red Sea, salifert.
I’ve never read a thread of anyone complaining about that.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you can’t do it right, don’t do it.
Also, many test kits don’t mark the vials, Red Sea, salifert.
I’ve never read a thread of anyone complaining about that.
I guess it comes down to what you consider “right” and what they do. you don’t know how many vials get made, or how many of those fail their QC standards.
a label being put 0.5mm off mark might be hard to miss, or maybe that vials glass was just slightly thicker making it actually a correct 10mm?

somebody always finds SOMETHING to complain about.

having to actually use a syringe and measure your water isn’t the end of the world and not worth the whining that it’s received

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it comes down to what you consider “right” and what they do. you don’t know how many vials get made, or how many of those fail their QC standards.
a label being put 0.5mm off mark might be hard to miss, or maybe that vials glass was just slightly thicker making it actually a correct 10mm?

somebody always finds SOMETHING to complain about.

having to actually use a syringe and measure your water isn’t the end of the world and not worth the whining that it’s received
Not sure why you seem to be poster boy for poor quality control. But I guess someone needs to do it... Some of us expect a 10ml vial to hold 10ml.

Like I said if you can’t do it right and reliably, don’t do it.

Of course using a syringe is not the end of the world. If your lines are not correct, don’t put them on and include a syringe. Not a big deal.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you seem to be poster boy for poor quality control. But I guess someone needs to do it... Some of us expect a 10ml vial to hold 10ml.

Of course using a syringe is not the end of the world. If your lines are not correct, don’t put them on and include a syringe. Not a big deal.
Nothing to do with being a poster boy.
I just don’t like people who are entitled and need to have everything on a silver platter handed to them.
If you got a problem with me, that ignore feature works great ;)

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d love to see you produce 10s of thousands of glass vials and have every single one of them be perfect.
but that won’t/can’t happen

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I would not put a 10ml line on them.
Here let’s add to this even more:
If they can’t even put the lines on all the vials correctly what makes you think the lines on the syringe that came with it are correct? How do you those aren’t off either?

Oh wait.....

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used a syringe. Going to check all of mine today just because.
These are hobby grade test kits and work well for what we need.
It is funny how the other test kits use syringes though and Hanna does not.
I will continue to use the line although I have one tube that the line is almost gone.
I cross test with another test kit if/when I get a strange reading.
Yesterday I used Hanna for Alk like I do every day. Alk was 7.3.
Cross tested with salifert and it was 7.5. Close enough for me as long as they stay the same.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And honestly, who the heck cares if it’s EXACTLY 10ml?

if every time you do the test you fill to the same line (let’s say it’s actually 9.5ml) then every time, the test will still be the same and give you comparable result. It’s not about the EXACT number it’s about repeatability and trends.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here let’s add to this even more:
If they can’t even put the lines on all the vials correctly what makes you think the lines on the syringe that came with it are correct? How do you those aren’t off either?

Oh wait.....
Hanna does not make the vials.
Syringes are used in the medical field and are held to a much higher standerd than hobby vials, lol.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna does not make the vials.
Syringes are used in the medical field and are held to a much higher standerd than hobby vials, lol.
I’m well aware they don’t make them....
and those little plastic syringes are not the same as used in the medical field so not comparable

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m well aware they don’t make them....
and those little plastic syringes are not the same as used in the medical field so not comparable
Not going to argue but the small 1cc syringes are the same used for diabetics and say salifert test kits.
Some of the others are general purpose so may not be as accurate but still good enough for this hobby.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 50 cuvettes from Hanna directly. They are much cheaper that way. I have used a Single Channel pipette to fill them and for all other testing vials. I haven't looked at the lines since I got the new pipette and I have tested twice several times and got the same results for PO4 and Alk.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%

Back