Hanna Phosphate checker question

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I count to 90 and then swirl it around to get any bubbles out and then put it into the checker quickly! Lol

I think anybody who’s ever owned it has done the same thing to start!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set a timer, shake for 2 minutes and then add the vial and hold the button down until the 3 minute count down clock appears. The reagents read properly 5 minutes after you add the powder.

The shut off clock doesn't shut off at 2 minutes during shaking, but allows a little more time. Not sure how much so I use a timer to get the vial back in the bottle right at 2.

HTH

Also, make certain the vial is aligned in the tester the same way during the measuring process. I use the markings on the bottle to align vial and tester so light measurements are not thrown off by vial imperfections. :)

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto shut off lasts longer than two minutes. I’m usually closer to 2:30 or 2:45 with no issue. When it says C2 I pull out the vial, pour in the powder, set my phone for a two minute timer and shake. Once the time is up I rock it a little to get the micro bubbles off the side walls then place it back into the tester and press and hold for the 3 minute countdown. I’ve never had it shut off on me.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had it shut off on me during shaking. However, I’ve had it shut off after the 3-minute count down is up because I got distracted doing other testing while I waited for the checker to finish. At that point the result is lost and I have to do it all over again. Definitely my fault. Now I set a time for 3 minutes with an alarm.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder doesn’t take 2 minutes to dissolve though.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazon Alexa at the tank that I initially hooked up to use with apex but mostly use it now as a handy voice activated timer just for this test. Very handy! If you don't have one of these I highly recommend one if nothing else a timer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one vial, but start out by first cutting the packet open.

Turn on unit, put in vial, wait for C2, empty already open packet into vial, shake for 2 minutes setting a timer so I don't forget, put back in unit and wait the three minutes.

Never had it turn off on me in the middle of using it. I have been doing other testing and missed the readout, but thats on me.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- i cut open the reagent and get it ready ahead of time - saves time.
- i only shake it for 1 minute - powder is mostly dissolved and has 3 more minutes to dissolve completely during the timer.
- Hanna really could have made this a better product. The ulr phosphorus almost seems "beta". Even a cheap glucometer can remember its last few readings...

Vergilius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50% success rate at actually getting a measurement due to the powder not dissolving before it times out.

Poor job by Hanna... the internal timer should be 5 mins.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I do. Not gonna get a perfect reading though due to differences in the vials themselves?

Yeah, using two vials does add some noise IMO -- especially once they start getting scratched up. But that is how I do it.

Funny coincidence, I just ordered four more new vials (due to scratches on my current ones) for the stupid price of $5 per vial. Cannot cost more than 4 cents to make. Whatever.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues using it. Just get everything ready and you should have no issues. This Hanna thread comes up all the time and should really not be an issue if done correctly imo.
So your checker doesn't time out after 2 minute? I am doing it correctly as the instructions tell me to!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back