Hanna Phosphate checker question

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your checker doesn't time out after 2 minute? I am doing it correctly as the instructions tell me to!!
No 3 minutes on mine. Packet open and ready once C2 hits start timer add powder and mix until 2-2.5 minites put in egg and push button before 3 min has arrived. Been doing it this way for 3+ years.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk I tested mine. 3rd time in a row ulr I got a zero!

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 3 minutes on mine. Packet open and ready once C2 hits start timer add powder and mix until 2-2.5 minites put in egg and push button before 3 min has arrived. Been doing it this way for 3+ years.
And you have this model? H1713
thumbnail.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the instructions on mine says it times out three minutes between C1 and C2. So like everyone else, I have the packet open and ready to go.

I’ve debated using one bottle for the control and the second for the phosphate. Then I’d take the “control“ one and use it again for my dKH

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna checker shuts down in two and a half minutes. An easy trick is to fill two vials with sample water. Be sure both are clean. Add the reagent to vial 2 and shake for 2 min. You can zero the checker with vial 1 and then go right to vial 2.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you have this model? H1713
thumbnail.jpeg

The instructions for this model posted on the Hanna Instruments website say that the auto-shutdown is 3 minutes, so if your is shouting down after 2 minutes, you are either pressing the button twice, or you have a faulty unit. The unit is suppose to shut down 2 minutes after taking a reading.

Also, if you are going to be keeping coral, I would recommend the ULR checker. This model is the LR checker based on the model number you gave.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I am aware the unit shuts down after 3 mins, this gives plenty of time to agitate for 2 mins. The trick is to prepare the reagent in advance of the test. Cut along the dotted line making sure you follow the curve on the line. Open the sachet carefully and bend to make a small cup shape out of the curve. This helps administer the powder quickly and accurately. To be honest I don't think the 2 mins agitation is a precise requirement that would have any effect on readings. As long as the powder is fully dissolved and you don't go over the 3 mins you are ready to go.

S.K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go with salifert. They are cheap but accurate. I only use them for all my testing.

Multra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna checkers have a ~5 minute timeout, weird yours goes off at 2

EricHop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your checker? I listen to a podcast awhile back with a guy from hanna on there as a guest. They said when the first made the phosphate checkers it originally had a 2 or 3 minute auto shut off. They realized the problem with that quicky. All the newer checkers have a 9 minute auto shut off now I believe. This is why you may be getting mixed answers.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna could of at least gave a 5 minute window. Mine shuts off after 3, but when you are clumsy lol, you need more then the 3 mins. I understand the 5 mins, but they barely give you time to add the powder and shake it.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what @EricHop said. I have heard also the older ones had a 2 minute shutdown which was later corrected. Your checker might be one of those?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back