Hanna Phosphate checker question

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we progress from newbie to a real reefer, we are trying to upgrade from the cheap test kits to instruments that are a lot more accurate. But I have to say this unit has made testing so frustrating that we may stray away from Hanna Checkers in the future.
Cheers! Mark

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker for 1.5 years. I have a set way of running the test due to the 3 minute auto off during the C2 portion. I cut the packet and set it up to easily pour into the vial. Then I clean the vial and insert it into the checker for the C1 cal. I then ready to hit start on a 3 minute timer when I see C2. Then I pour in the reagent and shake for 2 minutes. Usually takes about 30 seconds to get the reagent into the vial. Finishing with 30 seconds left to clean and insert the vial is plenty of time. Then I hold down the button on the checker until the 3 minute timer shows.

I do not walk away because 3 minutes passes faster than you expect. I've had to rerun the test before because I got busy and came back to a powered off checker.

If you are having issues with this checker, then maybe it isn't for you. I personally like it. Takes the guess work out of trying to read the color. For that, I will happily deal with strict timing and such.

Since this checker is giving you grief, I recommend staying away from the calcium checker as well. I use the calcium checker exclusively and like it, but I also had to replace the pipette with a lab grade one. I hate doing titrations.

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have this issue. I put the sample in the vial and place in the tester, I do not turn it on yet, I then get the Reagent and open it so it is ready to pour. After I am ready, i push the button for C1 to turn to C2, remove it and place the reagent and start a 2 minute time on Alexa. When there is 10 seconds left i start to wipe down the vial for finger prints, and then i place in tester, push and hold the button and bam!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back