Happy Tangs in 75g

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy to bring home a blue eye kole and scopas tangs yesterday.
Powder Blue wasn’t too excited to see them for an hour but they ended the night in the same rock sleeping

Any recommendations to keep the powder blue in good condition?
3751B63D-0B29-4244-BBB4-9117196D043B.jpeg
EE62DA61-EE91-4E1A-BA36-27211610831B.jpeg

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that they’re more sensitive so I’m just curious if there’s anything I can dose the tank with to keep them more healthy. She’s got nothing wrong at the moment :)
I was considering adding a couple more rocks but I didn’t know if they wanted more free space in the tank

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations to keep the powder blue in good condition?

A bigger tank - Im sure ill be frowned upon for saying it but its a serious recommendation.

They do not take long to grow with regular feedings and that 75 will become cramped in no time. Im not advising it for the fishes sake either, although thats part of it. Large fish in small tnaks have various knock on effects and they arent worth the risk and drama they will give the keeper shortly after.

Otherwise, with three surgeons in a small tnak my best advise is offer Nori very regularly and by way of multiple clips to give less aggression when eating.

They arent any more sensitive than any other surgeonfish - They get labelled this way because they tend to have more issues than others but that comes down to the fact they are often put in tanks too small for them and being a large growing highly moving species, it stresses them.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably take all the fish out and medicate them (tangs always come in with external parasites), go fallow for awhile, plan a tank upgrade to around a 150 gallon or larger (3 tangs will most likely fight a lot and they will get bigger fast). It also looks like you may have gotten a couple frags so probably 2 more ai primes to get better light coverage

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to grab them another clip just in case . They seem to eat together good at the moment but I will probably get another anyways.

I plan to upgrade to a 180-220 when I get out of my apartment and that’s in 8ish months.

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks new and appears to have hob equipment and no skimmer. IMHO I would have just lived w the pbt great fish and kept it at optimal conditions. Good luck w the trio. I see an upgrade in the future.
Yessir, I am getting a skimmer this week or next. I definitely had an upgrade planned when buying this livestock to keep them content. :)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going forward you might want to take the fish out and medicate them for two reasons. First they could get parasites bacterial infection, etc or they could be good at fighting the infection off, but when you add another fish down the line, the new fish is at risk of being more susceptible to whatever was in the tank. Fish disease/parasite prevention are really crucial to both immediate and long term health of a reef tank. Also if you plan an upgrade for 8 months away you could get away without one for that period of time, hob protein skimmers are more trouble than they are worth imo. There are also hob refugiums that can house tunze protein skimmers (great skimmer esp for the size)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed well..

A powder blue can stress and get sick easily. So depending if your new fish brought in hidden disease... and if they stress out over the next 8 months...

I only keep one tang in my 80. Tried two added at same time and QT together but in the long run it did not work for me. They mature and don't always stay friends or happy.

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I don't overfeed to avoid issues without the skimmer. I would obviously prefer to avoid a hob skimmer till i can get a SUMP setup with the skimmer and all in the 180 or 220 gal.

I don't plan to add any more fish in this particular tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I don't overfeed to avoid issues without the skimmer. I would obviously prefer to avoid a hob skimmer till i can get a SUMP setup with the skimmer and all in the 180 or 220 gal.

I don't plan to add any more fish in this particular tank.

You need to feed them enough to keep them fat and it helps from fighting. Don't limit food as a way to control algae. Increase your export to control algae but always feed fish well to keep them well nourished.

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed well..

A powder blue can stress and get sick easily. So depending if your new fish brought in hidden disease... and if they stress out over the next 8 months...

I only keep one tang in my 80. Tried two added at same time and QT together but in the long run it did not work for me. They mature and don't always stay friends or happy.
Going to shop for a second clip for the seaweed to keep them content with food :)
i am monitoring them for sure and the powder blue will be the first to go if any big issues arise or fighting comes back.
So far so good. I feed them daily, they never run out basically. they graze on it all day.

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you advise i could run no skimmer?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gonna be dependent on a lot of things, tanks have been run perfectly fine with no protein skimmer for years. A protein skimmer is not a necessary piece of equipment most of the time, but does help with maintenance and keeping the water oxygenated

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, perhaps it would work with a bare-bottom tank and frequent water changes. Tangs are just so sensitive to poor water quality, though, that it seems to me that it would be too great of a risk in a new tank.

OP
OP
GavinRad

GavinRad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will probably grab a tunze hob skimmer

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back