harlequin shrimp eating star

traveldrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently just bought a harlequin shrimp and i feed it a starfish but he flip it over and is just has been standing on it for 9 hours without eating the starfish is this normal

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently just bought a harlequin shrimp and i feed it a starfish but he flip it over and is just has been standing on it for 9 hours without eating the starfish is this normal
he will be eating it, they eat the tip of the leg first then slowly go to the central disk of the starfish. he may be eating the suctioning part of the starfish first though.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that used to do that. It was almost like it kept the starfish flipped over so it would not be able to crawl away. It was an interesting critter and did a good job getting rid of the astrina starfish. After that I got tired of cutting legs off of chocolate chip stars so I traded it in.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's normal - and for both of the reasons mentioned above. Harlequin shrimp frequently flip their prey both to keep them from escaping and so that they can access the starfish's tube feet (the suction cups on the under side), which seems to be their preferred part of the starfish for food. This preference might be practical - trying to keep the starfish from escaping - or it might be taste-based. Either way, totally normal behavior.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back