Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger concern is that when a company invests a significant amount of R&D into a new product there is an assumption that the new product will provide a large ROI. Have personally witnessed a company go under because of a situation like this. Not saying that this is happening and know nothing about the financial health of GHL. But considering the current overall business environment I would be hesitant to leave a significant amount of money hanging out there.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger concern is that when a company invests a significant amount of R&D into a new product there is an assumption that the new product will provide a large ROI. Have personally witnessed a company go under because of a situation like this. Not saying that this is happening and know nothing about the financial health of GHL. But considering the current overall business environment I would be hesitant to leave a significant amount of money hanging out there.
And this is why GHL should be communicating. Good faith in those that invested. That's all I really ask.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well- I finally pulled out. Congrats to everyone that moved up a spot. Process is to email [email protected]. Disappointed and I have no doubt they’ll start shipping now that I stepped out of line :) still a fan of ghl but have to admit this experience ranks among my worst and couldn’t endorse it any longer. I’m sure they won’t miss me with plenty of appetite out there. Good luck to those still holding on to the dream of kicking that football.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well- I finally pulled out. Congrats to everyone that moved up a spot. Process is to email [email protected]. Disappointed and I have no doubt they’ll start shipping now that I stepped out of line :) still a fan of ghl but have to admit this experience ranks among my worst and couldn’t endorse it any longer. I’m sure they won’t miss me with plenty of appetite out there. Good luck to those still holding on to the dream of kicking that football.
I'm not far behind. I'll give it till the end of Nov. It was so close to being on my doorstep 3 times only to have it pulled back without an explanation. That's nothing but frustration.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that's why the amount of GHL products in the selling pages of this forum has dramatically increased over few months.. are people selling everything thinking of a Mindstream kind of failure? GHL is not a massive company, a failure like this would sink the ship completely. I just hope we are totally wrong, it would be an incredible loss
I would kind of doubt it would sink the ship unless he really over extended himself cash wise. The systems come paired up with Dosing pumps, so those can always be sent back into inventory. He has not produced the probes in quantity yet so the material expenses used are probably not high. It's really just the circuit boards (cheap) and maybe the metal case that cannot be reused.

This is all worst case scenario stuff.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would kind of doubt it would sink the ship unless he really over extended himself cash wise. The systems come paired up with Dosing pumps, so those can always be sent back into inventory. He has not produced the probes in quantity yet so the material expenses used are probably not high. It's really just the circuit boards (cheap) and maybe the metal case that cannot be reused.

This is all worst case scenario stuff.
This is horrible logic

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all there's a lot of R&D involved just getting a product to release.
Then there's out sourcing parts and manufacturing and in this case they sent out beta units for testing. All of this costs money to do.
Now, when a product doesn't perform well it has to go back to R&D to find the problem, get more parts and more manufacturing. It becomes a high priority and plenty more $'s spent to make it right. The longer it takes to fix the more money spent.
If they get this fixed right now I believe it'll takes years of sales to bring them in the black.
They had to make all those extra dosers that go with the IOND. Yeah they can go back in stock but how long will it take to sell them??

I hate to admit it , but I don't see this ending well. In May we got notice that these would start shipping in April and it would take till about now to get all the pre-orders sent out. There's not one IOND in anyone's hands in this country that wasn't a beta tester. And no notice since August about what's going on. In this case no news isn't good news. I'm getting ready to pull the plug on this. The only answer I got from GHL was if I wanted to give up my place in line then ask for a refund. This does nothing but play into the emotional waiting game they have us in.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all there's a lot of R&D involved just getting a product to release.
Then there's out sourcing parts and manufacturing and in this case they sent out beta units for testing. All of this costs money to do.
Now, when a product doesn't perform well it has to go back to R&D to find the problem, get more parts and more manufacturing. It becomes a high priority and plenty more $'s spent to make it right. The longer it takes to fix the more money spent.
If they get this fixed right now I believe it'll takes years of sales to bring them in the black.
They had to make all those extra dosers that go with the IOND. Yeah they can go back in stock but how long will it take to sell them??

I hate to admit it , but I don't see this ending well. In May we got notice that these would start shipping in April and it would take till about now to get all the pre-orders sent out. There's not one IOND in anyone's hands in this country that wasn't a beta tester. And no notice since August about what's going on. In this case no news isn't good news. I'm getting ready to pull the plug on this. The only answer I got from GHL was if I wanted to give up my place in line then ask for a refund. This does nothing but play into the emotional waiting game they have us in.
From my understanding, the Ion Director is operational, it is just the probes have significantly less life span which in turn makes it more expensive to run if they cannot figure out a way to improve the probe. So in my opinion, worst case scenario is the operating costs would increase but the whole project wouldn’t be scrapped.

Or am I missing something?

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, the Ion Director is operational, it is just the probes have significantly less life span which in turn makes it more expensive to run if they cannot figure out a way to improve the probe. So in my opinion, worst case scenario is the operating costs would increase but the whole project wouldn’t be scrapped.

Hi,

No, you're right, the IOND is perfectly operational.
The main concern is the mass production of the sensor in the context of the current crisis.
On the one hand, the production is now much more complex because they have made further design changes to improve long-term stability and transportability; on the other hand, the manufacturer is struggling with the procurement of materials, the global scarcity of raw materials is also noticeable here. But there is good news here! The delivery quantities of the sensors should be increased drastically in november, ie they will receive many more sensors per week and thus be able to deliver a lot more IOND.

Then, for the US market, only @Vinny@GHLUSA can answer.

Gaël

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Without the probe the IOND isn't fully operational. The probe is pretty much the meat and bones of the system. The rest is just electronics and metal.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

No, you're right, the IOND is perfectly operational.
The main concern is the mass production of the sensor in the context of the current crisis.
On the one hand, the production is now much more complex because they have made further design changes to improve long-term stability and transportability; on the other hand, the manufacturer is struggling with the procurement of materials, the global scarcity of raw materials is also noticeable here. But there is good news here! The delivery quantities of the sensors should be increased drastically in november, ie they will receive many more sensors per week and thus be able to deliver a lot more IOND.

Gaël
I'm curious as to where you're getting this info from???
I'm not buying into procurement issues totally. Yeah, I've had to wait for parts to repair boats, but they do show up. Usually in a month or so. Remember this thing was supposed to be ready and working when they introduced it two years ago. It passed the beta test in May.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to where you're getting this info from???
I'm not buying into procurement issues totally. Yeah, I've had to wait for parts to repair boats, but they do show up. Usually in a month or so.
Official GHL german forum.

Remember this thing was supposed to be ready and working when they introduced it two years ago. It passed the beta test in May.
I know that, I was one of them. Product is operational.

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official GHL german forum.
Which only leads to more questions without answers.
It got beta tested here and Germany but only got released in Germany. They said the first ones to pre-order would be the first to receive. This doesn't add up.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact it is in the USA. I also know a few that actually have it. Don't ask , as I am not sure if I can tell. The IOND is coming and those that wait, I feel, will be rewarded with a AWESOME piece of testing equipment. I actually respect GHL to hold the current shipment of IOND's that is in the USA due to the probe issue, and will not send it out until they get the updated probes. Its a risky move, BUT, it tells me that they will not release a product, until it is ready at their own risk of their name. GHL is taking a beating over this, BUT, they will not release a inferior product to please the masses. They are taking a beating because they will not send out a product that will not live up to what they envisioned, because of the probe. TO ME, that means a lot. When I do receive it, I will know that GHL sent me the best product that is available.

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact it is in the USA. I also know a few that actually have it. Don't ask , as I am not sure if I can tell. The IOND is coming and those that wait, I feel, will be rewarded with a AWESOME piece of testing equipment. I actually respect GHL to hold the current shipment of IOND's that is in the USA due to the probe issue, and will not send it out until they get the updated probes. Its a risky move, BUT, it tells me that they will not release a product, until it is ready at their own risk of their name. GHL is taking a beating over this, BUT, they will not release a inferior product to please the masses. They are taking a beating because they will not send out a product that will not live up to what they envisioned. TO ME, that means a lot. When I do receive it, I will know that GHL sent me the best product that is available.
I agree with most of this. It would be nice to hear it from the source instead of heresay though.
I'm not waiting too much longer if I don't hear from them. I got notice in August it was going to be shipped fairly soon, two to three weeks. I was told the probe issues had nothing to do with my shipment. And nothing since. It's their own fault they're taking a beating over this.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of this. It would be nice to hear it from the source instead of heresay though.
I'm not waiting too much longer if I don't hear from them. I got notice in August it was going to be shipped fairly soon, two to three weeks. I was told the probe issues had nothing to do with my shipment. And nothing since. It's their own fault they're taking a beating over this.
I understand your frustration, I truly do, but the epidemic didn't just effect GHL and any other company directly. It also effects their distributors. GHL is only able to make things that they receive from their vendors. The epidemic does have a cascading effect on everything. Currently, shipping is effected and most companies can't get anything because, 1-2 years later, the epidemic is now effecting shipping. Their is always cause and effect to everything. I am asking you to look at this and understand that GHL will not release an inferior product. When you get the IOND, it will be the best available product that can be produced at this time.

I truly hope you decide to wait and get the IOND. Its the 2nd most thing that drew me, personally, to GHL.
The 1st was the PTC. I do HVACR for a living, so I deal with heat exchangers all the time.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know for a fact it is in the USA. I also know a few that actually have it. Don't ask , as I am not sure if I can tell. The IOND is coming and those that wait, I feel, will be rewarded with a AWESOME piece of testing equipment. I actually respect GHL to hold the current shipment of IOND's that is in the USA due to the probe issue, and will not send it out until they get the updated probes. Its a risky move, BUT, it tells me that they will not release a product, until it is ready at their own risk of their name. GHL is taking a beating over this, BUT, they will not release a inferior product to please the masses. They are taking a beating because they will not send out a product that will not live up to what they envisioned, because of the probe. TO ME, that means a lot. When I do receive it, I will know that GHL sent me the best product that is available.
This is positive news, but I think you are giving them more credit with their quality stance than they deserve. GHL doesn’t have a choice at this point with their strategy. It’s been two years updated projections/delays (either of their own making or not). To put something out now and have major issues is a recipe for disaster.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your frustration, I truly do, but the epidemic didn't just effect GHL and any other company directly. It also effects their distributors. GHL is only able to make things that they receive from their vendors. The epidemic does have a cascading effect on everything. Currently, shipping is effected and most companies can't get anything because, 1-2 years later, the epidemic is now effecting shipping. Their is always cause and effect to everything. I am asking you to look at this and understand that GHL will not release an inferior product. When you get the IOND, it will be the best available product that can be produced at this time.
There's too much being blamed on the epidemic all over. I'm not buying that stuff. There are issues with shipping. Not two years worth. It was supposedly ready when it was announced.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's too much being blamed on the epidemic all over. I'm not buying that stuff. There are issues with shipping. Not two years worth. It was supposedly ready when it was announced.
I will not battle you with this, BUT, their is a cascading effect to things. I truly hope you see this and understand. :)

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not battle you with this, BUT, their is a cascading effect to things. I truly hope you see this and understand. :)
I understand there's something wrong here and GHL isn't saying it. Silence makes people think. The truth actually works. And you're the one that's currently switching over to GHL right? Everything is rosey when it new. I honestly hope I'm wrong. But nothing by the end of November I'm out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back