Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Without within to be patronizing, but have you read the manual?

If you have a slave doser and a Ion Director, then you need 2 cables to connect them via the PAB ports to the P4. It doesn’t matter what order you put them in but, for ease of explanation, plug one cable between the doser and the P4, and one cable between the doser and the Ion Director.

I could be wrong but, from your posts, it sounds like you don’t have all 3 units connected together.

The manual then runs you through the setup process.

If you have a standalone doser then you can either use it to control the Ion Director, or you have to set it to slave mode. However, it sounds like you have the slave doser, which can’t control the Ion Director itself, so it needs to be connected to the P4 (or another standalone doser).

Are you trying to connect via USB or Wi-Fi?

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a slave doser and a Ion Director, then you need 2 cables to connect them via the PAB ports to the P4. It doesn’t matter what order you put them in but, for ease of explanation, plug one cable between the doser and the P4, and one cable between the doser and the Ion Director.

Are you trying to connect via USB or Wi-Fi?
LOL. I'm not that bad! I know I need 3 (or more) cables (eventually). But I was referring to what Lasse was saying about updating the Firmware, where you need to disconnect everything EXCEPT for the new Doser2 going to the P4.
I'm wondering if my Error message has something to do with me NOT connecting JUST the Doser2 to the P4. I'm still not sure if that is necessary. I do have the latest firmware; and, all the devices seem to have been assigned via the PAB connections. But when I click on the ION DIRECTOR icon (under PROBES) I get the ERROR #41 box and when I click on OK, the program closes.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
USB or Wifi?

If Wifi, then I would try to connect to the P4 via USB. I have had lots of communication errors using GCC and Wifi.

Another option, if you are using the GCC software download, is to either try to connect to the P4 using the GHL Connect app, or by typing the IP address into a browser and connecting via the web interface. I have found both of those to be more stable than GCC.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USB or Wifi?

If Wifi, then I would try to connect to the P4 via USB. I have had lots of communication errors using GCC and Wifi.

Another option, if you are using the GCC software download, is to either try to connect to the P4 using the GHL Connect app, or by typing the IP address into a browser and connecting via the web interface. I have found both of those to be more stable than GCC.
USB. I only use GCC. As mentioned, I can connect when I click on the P4 icon, as I always have done. I couldn't connect when I had only the new doser2 connected to the P4 and I tried connecting by double clicking on the Doser2 icon. I probably did something wrong.....but I don't know if this step (of connecting with only the P4 and the new Doser 2) is even necessary.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think you can connect to a slave doser via USB; it doesn't have a USB port!

The controls/settings for the slave doser are found in the P4 menus, and to control it you need to connect to the P4.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USB. I only use GCC. As mentioned, I can connect when I click on the P4 icon, as I always have done. I couldn't connect when I had only the new doser2 connected to the P4 and I tried connecting by double clicking on the Doser2 icon. I probably did something wrong.....but I don't know if this step (of connecting with only the P4 and the new Doser 2) is even necessary.
Error 41 is from using an updated Gcc with an older version of firmware on the Profilux. You need to update the firmware on your P4.
I would double check each device and check/update each ones firmware one by one just to make sure you didn’t overrun another device trying to update with all connected.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Error 41 is from using an updated Gcc with an older version of firmware on the Profilux. You need to update the firmware on your P4.
I would double check each device and check/update each ones firmware one by one just to make sure you didn’t overrun another device trying to update with all connected.
Ah ha!! That may have fixed it! I just updated the P4 to 7.28 and now when I click on ION DIRECTOR (under PROBES tab) I no longer get the error message! I will finish setting up everything tomorrow (i.e. cut tubing, etc).

You mentioned that I should check each device's firmware but I'm not sure how to do that. The P4 was pretty obvious and straightforward, but I didn't disconnect the other devices.

Is this how I should update the other devices?: Go to SYSTEM >> In the PAB box there is a drop-down list of all my devices. I should connect each one by itself and then click the "FIRMWARE UPDATE box, right?

Here are my devices with their current Firmwares. Would you mind telling me if they are the most current?:
(It will be quite a project if I have to get to the PAB cables on each of these devices in my cabinet if I have to link them to the P4 by themselves so it would be very helpful to learn if I really need to do this! )

- Powerbar 6E (2 of them): 1.00
- Doser 2 (3 of them): 1.36
- Maxi Dosers (2 of them): 1.34
- KH Director: 1.00
- Ion Director: 1.00
- Touch: 1.06

Thank you so much for helping with this! Much appreciated!! :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to update maxi doser - their last FW are 1.36 - the same FW as for Doser 2.

If you are uncertain on latest available FW - you can always find them in your system disk - see below. Install latest GCC and In program (x86) open its directory

1646980922683.png

Sincerely Lasse

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha!! That may have fixed it! I just updated the P4 to 7.28 and now when I click on ION DIRECTOR (under PROBES tab) I no longer get the error message! I will finish setting up everything tomorrow (i.e. cut tubing, etc).

You mentioned that I should check each device's firmware but I'm not sure how to do that. The P4 was pretty obvious and straightforward, but I didn't disconnect the other devices.

Is this how I should update the other devices?: Go to SYSTEM >> In the PAB box there is a drop-down list of all my devices. I should connect each one by itself and then click the "FIRMWARE UPDATE box, right?

Here are my devices with their current Firmwares. Would you mind telling me if they are the most current?:
(It will be quite a project if I have to get to the PAB cables on each of these devices in my cabinet if I have to link them to the P4 by themselves so it would be very helpful to learn if I really need to do this! )

- Powerbar 6E (2 of them): 1.00
- Doser 2 (3 of them): 1.36
- Maxi Dosers (2 of them): 1.34
- KH Director: 1.00
- Ion Director: 1.00
- Touch: 1.06

Thank you so much for helping with this! Much appreciated!! :)
No, the way to update firmware is to disconnect the pab cable from every device except for the one being updated. Say you are updating the doser: you disconnect all other pab cables from the back of the p4 except a cable directly to the doser, then update the doser firmware. Most people when they build cabinets or place things never take this into account so you aren’t alone. Pro Tip: go to a store in the electronics department and buy acat5e or cat6 cable that will reach from the P4 to your furthest GHL device and a Couple RJ45 connectors.

With those you can just connect from the P4 directly to unit being updated and just connect where you can access. Just disconnect the other pab cable from what’s being updated either at that device or the other end of that particular pab connection. Using it as a temporary umbilical routing doesn’t matter just across the floor in front of tank or wherever, and when done updating put it away till the next firmware update of the other devices.

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to update maxi doser - their last FW are 1.36 - the same FW as for Doser 2.

If you are uncertain on latest available FW - you can always find them in your system disk - see below. Install latest GCC and In program (x86) open its directory
Thank you, Lasse!
(I tried to Edit/erase my original message because I found the answer, but see you answered it in next post before I could finish editing!)

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just tells me what my present firmware is, correct? But what is the best way to learn if there is a more recent firmware available to download?
No - it is at this place GCC get its updates. It is the available versions - highest number - newest.

Yo do backups from here - do it before any attempt´s to update any firmware. Everything should be attached the way you want it before the saving process.

1647011800293.png

Sincerely Lasse

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first 2 Ion Director units arrived but I wont be able to crack them out of their packaging for a number of weeks due to being backed up so much on other work. They were ordered February 6th of 2020, simpler times those days were. My first impressions, that I wanted to share with the community, are just going to have to wait.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Problem: When I click "PREPARE MEASUREMENT CELL" nothing happens.
In the rectangular box right below the Sodium window, it reads: ERROR: NOT ENOUGH REFERENCE

Any ideas? Thank you!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New Problem: When I click "PREPARE MEASUREMENT CELL" nothing happens.
In the rectangular box right below the Sodium window, it reads: ERROR: NOT ENOUGH REFERENCE

Any ideas? Thank you!

Have you set up the reservoir sizes in the software (when you set up the pumps on the doser), and told the software that those reservoirs are filled?

My guess is that the software thinks the reference bottles are empty.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you set up the reservoir sizes in the software (when you set up the pumps on the doser), and told the software that those reservoirs are filled?

That was it! Perfect. I had the A and B set but not the SAMPLE. Thank you.

I have to wait 12 hours now so will run tests tomorrow, compare them to Salifert kits (and recent ICP for Na) and report results then.

Thank you Everybody who has offered help to get me thru this ! :)

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess there is no way to set the REFERENCE reservoir for an infinite supply, correct?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess there is no way to set the REFERENCE reservoir for an infinite supply, correct?

The REFERENCE reservoirs should be set to the size of the bottles.

For the SAMPLE (i.e. the one that goes in the tank) there is a check box to turn off level monitoring and you will want to do that.

Do you have a KHD? I'm not sure that GHL has made videos for the Ion D yet, but the videos for the KHD setup are very good and it runs through exactly how to calibrate/set up the pumps etc. If you aren't familiar with the KHD then those videos might be useful as the KHD setup looks quite similar.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the IOND because I really thought that I wanted to do away with my Hanna testers.....
They are far from perfect. They are all off by a certain margin but I know by how much each one is off by. The Alk tester went through some serious reagent problems a while back
But...... They are certainly a lot more simple and cheaper than dealing with said IOND.
Nothing these days needs to be this complicated. About now I'm kinda glad they cancelled mine.
I have the P4, two Mitras LX7's and two light bars.
What I don't have is the time and patience to deal with how GHL makes things so frustrating to set up and update everything.
Two year wait and two weeks of frustration to get it to work.
Kinda takes the fun out of it.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanted the IOND because I really thought that I wanted to do away with my Hanna testers.....
They are far from perfect. They are all off by a certain margin but I know by how much each one is off by. The Alk tester went through some serious reagent problems a while back
But...... They are certainly a lot more simple and cheaper than dealing with said IOND.
Nothing these days needs to be this complicated. About now I'm kinda glad they cancelled mine.
I have the P4, two Mitras LX7's and two light bars.
What I don't have is the time and patience to deal with how GHL makes things so frustrating to set up and update everything.
Two year wait and two weeks of frustration to get it to work.
Kinda takes the fun out of it.

I have made no secrets that I am not a fan of some aspects of GHL's software, their Wi-Fi connection, and I do get frustrated that improvements are done at a snail's pace and items are promoted but then take an age, if ever, to materialise.

But with that said, I don't think this is overly complicated. I don't have the Ion D but I do have a KHD and the setup of the Ion D looks almost identical, and it honestly isn't that difficult (even for me and my brain clash with GHL programming). The KHD setup video does make it quite clear how to set these things up. IMO the setup process should not be the deciding factor as to whether someone buys the KHD/Ion D or not.

I am still waiting a few months to see how the longevity is with the Ion D probes in customer's hands before I order, and then there will probably be a long wait as I will be at the back of the order queue, but I will be happy to upgrade from the Hanna checkers. I no longer use the Hanna Alk checker on my tank with the KHD, and it makes life so much easier to let the KHD do it's thing and I can just check the readings when I feel like it. I am looking forward to the time when my tank testing is fully automated, particularly if GHL can add phosphate testing to the Ion D in the future.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back