Has BRS Tested Purigen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good experiment. I was always told that Purigen didn't work in saltwater tanks for some reason. I'd like to see some real evidence and reasoning as to why though.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of the best phosphate removers in a nano tank. Once my phosphate starts to creep up I know it's time to regen my Purigen, and that's usually about every 2 months..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good experiment. I was always told that Purigen didn't work in saltwater tanks for some reason. I'd like to see some real evidence and reasoning as to why though.

It will bind organics very well in seawater, and that's the only reason to use it. You can remove organics, either as the end goal, or to prevent them from breaking down into inorganic nutrients.

What it won't do (I believe) is bind any significant amount of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, or phosphate directly from seawater at the concentrations normal for reefs. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will bind organics very well in seawater, and that's the only reason to use it. You can remove organics, either as the end goal, or to prevent them from breaking down into inorganic nutrients.

What it won't do (I believe) is bind any significant amount of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, or phosphate directly from seawater at the concentrations normal for reefs. :)
As a side question Randy, if a system has no problem keeping NO3 & PO4 at very low levels is there any real reason to attempt to remove DOC using GAC, purigen or skimming?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side question Randy, if a system has no problem keeping NO3 & PO4 at very low levels is there any real reason to attempt to remove DOC using GAC, purigen or skimming?

I would, to reduce yellowing of the water and the potential for some of those organics to be toxins intentionally released by the organisms in the tank to reduce nearby competition.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although BRS are very fair & honest, I'm sure, some people may suggest the test null & void sighting conflict of interest.

I was suprised to discover that BRS doesn't sell Purigen.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I wonder why they don't.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back