Has LA lost its ju ju?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its regular LA. Cant afford DD like you ballers :)

I check the salinity and all the bag were about .20-21
The inner bags for the corals were complelty drained , the outter ones for both corals and fish were significantly deflated. Is this common practice for them?

hah, no baller here man. I just ordered a run of the mill orchid dottyback for 29.99! cheaper than the other dottybacks on the LA site actually.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the regular LA is just using a wholesale supplier that is shared by other stores. Definitely no QT.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok another fish bite the dust :(
God i hate it when a life is loss no matter how small or inexpensive. I dont fully blame LA but the fish look extremely emanciated. Wish they'd kept and fatten him up before shipping. Poor fella.

Im not trying to rip on LA but it seems they need to step up their games for the betterment of everyone involved, fish included.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok another fish bite the dust :(
God i hate it when a life is loss no matter how small or inexpensive. I dont fully blame LA but the fish look extremely emanciated. Wish they'd kept and fatten him up before shipping. Poor fella.

Im not trying to rip on LA but it seems they need to step up their games for the betterment of everyone involved, fish included.
Did you read my post on page 1 ?

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read your post. And pretty much every post on every threads I’ve started. I figure if people spent their valuable time and effort to reply, the right thing to do is to read ... every one of them :)

Did not know Petco bought out LA. THeyre over priced just like Petsmart. Id only go to either one in a pinch. Ive seen ppl walked out ot PS with a cart full of stuffs. Howd they can afford shopping there is beyond me. But then again our hobby isnt cheap either.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD do a 'sort of' quarantine, regular LA does not. DD fish always ship right at 1.025, LA somewhat lower .... usually in the 1.019-20 range. I have ordered from them many times, and I see no material difference between pre-Petco and post-Petco. Sometimes orders arrive in bad shape; most of the time they do not. I also avoid the very hottest and coldest months.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from LA last week.

One biota captive bred fish which was sent from their Wisconsin facility... which is the DD one but it wasn't a DD fish. I guess they just store them there. It looked good on arrival but did not make it through the night. I bought 1 coral from DD and they shipped me the wrong one so they refunded it.. so I ended up with a free coral (sucks I already had that particular coral) but now I don't have the coral I wanted ofc.

My other two fish were leopard wrasse from LA, one was in very very bad shape floating upside down but alive in the bag. I floated and added them to the QT tank, forgot about salinity difference but I guess it did no harm because the sick one made a full recovery over a coarse of a few days. She wedged herself in a rock to keep from floating to the top and eventually the problem corrected itself. Both wrasse still in QT and weaned into frozen now and eating well. They were both from LA facility aka Quality Marine and packed well in blackout bags.

I have ordered from them many times and DOA's happen to healthy fish too. It is a stressful process. Will continue to use them when I want a two week guarentee.

Yes, Petco bought them but nothing has changed. I have been buying from them before Petco bought them and its the same quality. Fish were DOA and mistakes happened before Petco owned them. I figured most people used them because they will refund your money and not just give you a credit.

Last edited:

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had great experience with them. I just got a pair of flame hawkish from the DD about 2 weeks ago and they were very healthy and happy. The customer service is great as well. They will most likely credit or refund you. They may require pictures with such an extensive complaint tho.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my DD ORA orchid dottyback is good to go

the LA red line wrasse died after like 3 days of seeming good to go

also ordered an ORA clownfish for a friend which is good to go

I felt like everything was done well by LA/DD/ORA. everything was packed well and nothing seemed overly cold or hot. granted it was a pretty nice day to receive fish (mid 70s). not sure they could've been expected to fix the wrasse issue, possibly internal parasite. they just asked me for a photo and told me they'd refund it. I'm keeping it stored in the freezer just in case, but if need be I'd order from them again.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back