Has Supply Exceeded Demand?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be nice if one were able to buy small colonies for $99 regardless what fancy name they had :thinking-face:

eja99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d say it’s a 2 fold problem. One is the supply is way outstripping demand. In the Bay Area there is a new shop that has tons of torches for sale. Starting at $80/head up to $350/head. I don’t mind paying up for something but I’d like it to be unique or something I find interesting. When I see an entire tank of the same coral priced at a premium, I cant imagine what the business strategy is. And this artificial inflated pricing keeps all the prices high/inflated.

The 2nd piece is at some point most hobbyists became side vendors. They would be willing to pay $300, $400, $500 etc for something they could grow, frag and sell later to recoup the cost. I think that mentality has just become the norm now. Recently I saw an ad on CL (posted by a hobbyist), selling some coral. He had nice pieces posted at retail(ish) prices and I was curious to see the coral in person. When I got there he had raised the prices 2-3x. I showed him his own CL ad and noted the prices he had listed, he told me, “oh I’m not selling at those prices.” I said thanks and left. Contrast that with when I first moved here in 2009, I’d go to buy a frag or 2 and leave with like 5 pieces and a new reefing buddy.

It’s a totally different hobby now….

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has happened the last few downturns is that many of the hobbyists who tried to have basement businesses also quit the hobby when their business was shut down.

OrlandoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trouble selling gold torch for $50 in Orlando. People rather pay $200 at WWC. LoL. I don't do it for the money. I just have 5+ years old colonies I need to trim. I give out free monti and softies all the time.
I live in Orlando and cycling a tank now 130 gallon I need to stock

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Orlando and cycling a tank now 130 gallon I need to stock
Hit me up. I got so much stuff at hobbyist price. Example of a $50 torch. Cell phone photo. No orange filter.
1000003423-01.jpeg

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Ocala Reef Club stopped meeting because of Covid but we are working on starting up again, we have members that still chat here. Since we are centrally located between Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa if you guys wanted to join us for a true no sales, trade only frag swap we'd be up for hosting. Just let us know.
I would love to be kept in the loop. Unfortunately at this point the only thing I have to trade is zenia or anthelia.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an active local club azfrag.org if your not a member we’d love to have you
oh yea, I rememmber I tried applying awhile ago but I think the website was broken because I never got a confirmation email or a response or an invoice. I think it was just stuck on the apply page when I filled out all my information

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea, I rememmber I tried applying awhile ago but I think the website was broken because I never got a confirmation email or a response or an invoice. I think it was just stuck on the apply page when I filled out all my information
Bummer, try joining again, next meeting is Nov 18th - we would love to have ya

The Phoenix coralfarmersmarket.com show is also nov18.

I plan on being at both.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be nice if one were able to buy small colonies for $99 regardless what fancy name they had :thinking-face:
IMG_20231109_181246596.jpg
IMG_20231109_181311560.jpg

I traded 8 nudibranch for the Seattle sparkler top center and the no name green acro to the top left was thrown in with the deal. The deals are out there. By the way, this is someone who sells coral from their house.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was thinking about reefing today and how easy it has become to grow coral out for fragging. It seems more and more Reefers are starting coral fragging businesses these days.

I know not everyone shares the same success, but I think those that stick with it will eventually become successful.

With that said, do you think that the coral frag market is oversaturated, balanced, or not enough?
To be honest, there are lots of vendors both local and online nowadays. That being said, it isn't an oversaturated market until prices come down. Still expensive, think about what people charge for a Duncan or easily propagated Bizzaro cyphastrea or Beach bum montipora.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a meeting this weekend, plus coral farmers market. It's going to be a busy Saturday.
Coral farmers market??? and also this saturday I will be attending a veterans day parade and I think I will not be available until later in the day around 4-5 pm.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back