Has Vibrant helped you beat bubble algae?

Does vibrant 100% kill bubble algae

• Yes, with no issues

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • Yes, but hurt coral or other livestock

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • No, it did not work for me

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also seems that you guys having issues were dosing more frequently.

I began dosing weekly for 2 months and it caused more problems than in the next 2 months when I was dosing every 3 days, because by then I figured out how to control it.

I realized that the sps became extremely sensitive to small alk changes, so I kept it under tight control. My normal alk was 8.5 and 0.5 dKH swings were enough to burn corals, especially montis.

I dropped the alk to 7.5 and never let it swing more than 0.3. It stopped the burning of sps. I have a Xepta Autobalance and I tested alk 6 times per day.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began dosing weekly for 2 months and it caused more problems than in the next 2 months when I was dosing every 3 days, because by then I figured out how to control it.

I realized that the sps became extremely sensitive to small alk changes, so I kept it under tight control. My normal alk was 8.5 and 0.5 dKH swings were enough to burn corals, especially montis.

I dropped the alk to 7.5 and never let it swing more than 0.3. It stopped the burning of sps. I have a Xepta Autobalance and I tested alk 6 times per day.
So from the sounds of it it was an alk problem and not directly the vibrant then. A 0.5 swing is pretty large over a short period of time.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wasn't having alk swings, and I mostly have acros with only a few montis and they've all been okay. Even among my montis they're fine except the rainbow, so who knows, but I seem to recall seeing another older post about vibrant causing trouble for montis in particular. Something about organic vs inorganic nutrients and how something vibrant did in that regard was hard on montis. I tried asking UWC about it but didn't get a response.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using vibrant to beat bubble algae. It's been a slow but steady effect, still going and not all bubble algae is gone yet. I have a ton of acros that are fine, but have a rainbow monti that has suffered. Admittedly, I also started dosing some strontium around the same time based on an ICP test result, only to find out at the next ICP that home test kits for strontium are garbage and I had overdosed. So can't say for sure which was responsible for any upset coral, but can say the bubble algae is slowly disappearing.

Oh and red cyano has popped up since, which seems to be par for the course...
Good luck!
I found the once vibrant really starts to become effective by dosing more frequently it will also start depleting your nutrient levels and my Acro’s didn’t like it so I stopped the treatment. Just pray that you never end up with this species and what ever you do, don’t pop the bubbles or try to scrap it off the rocks like I did several years ago.

5C57BEF3-FAE0-4486-B41C-52278039119A.jpeg
E49D4ABD-2F9F-46D7-AB71-BD0B8D6BD3D3.jpeg
52F4308D-2B86-4937-B769-156BBE44E55C.jpeg
FE94903A-D61C-4815-A288-C1681C218EC4.jpeg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pray that you never end up with this species and what ever you do, don’t pop the bubbles or try to scrap it off the rocks like I did several years ago.
Thats the probem with SPS, usually lower nutrients gets rid of all bubble algae. If I do some 100% water changes and a little GFO I have beat that stuff countless times, but I always try and run a low nutrient tank. LPS and rbtas love it

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, after about 10 weeks i hardly have any bubble algae left in my frag tank and the few pieces that are left are transparent and dying. Im pretty happy with the results and might be trying it in the display system soon.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, after about 10 weeks i hardly have any bubble algae left in my frag tank and the few pieces that are left are transparent and dying. Im pretty happy with the results and might be trying it in the display system soon.
At this point in time, I have to report a similar outcome. I was just looking around in the tank earlier trying to even find anymore bubbles in there. I found one. Pretty darn pleased. I think I'll continue dosing (will drop from twice to one a week at some point) until the bottle is gone and cross my fingers after that. No real harm to corals that I can directly pin on vibrant, though my rainbow monti is still super ticked and half dead...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back